HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Good 1X Scope? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/402314-good-1x-scope.html)

ronlaughlin 10-27-2015 02:05 PM

Good 1X Scope?

Ever since regulation allowed us to use a one power scope, i have. Sighting through my 1X scope was like sighting through a straw; i very much dislike it. However, not being able to focus the front sight, pushed me to give up the peep sight, and use the hated 1X scope. The one power scope has put meat in the freezer, but..... The old one power isn't really a one power; it might be a 0.9 power, and as such the longer shots are harder than they should be. The shorter shots are harder than they should be.

It could be, this is a good one power scope. Field of view is a way more than my old scope. This scope seems to be a true one power, not less. This new scope was mounted on an old X7, and given a try. This morning it was cool, and calm, and we got a chance to shoot. Load was 110g Blackhorn, 250g Hornady Monoflex, crush rib sabot, and W209 primer. A blank sheet of paper works best for me when using a one power scope. The cross hair covers the bull, so one cannot see where to aim. Using the blank paper, allows me to sight by looking for equal white all around the cross hair. The first target was shot at 100 yard. The first shot was from a cold clean barrel.

Curious to see how i could shoot the scope at 200 yard, a move was made, and the elevation dial twisted up 5 1/2 moa. Aiming was very difficult, because the cross hair just about covers the whole world. The one shot was made at 200 yard from a cool barrel.

cayugad 10-27-2015 03:06 PM

Wisconsin used to have the same regulation but has since changed. But I put a number of 1x scopes on different rifles. Especially my Whites. And like you I discovered that at extreme distances the cross hairs almost covered the target. My favorite of all the 1x scopes was my Nikon 1x20mm. For some reason, mounted on my White, I could shoot some impressive groups. Even out to 100 yards. Once the law changed I sold the Nikon but still have a couple other brands laying around here.

cayugad 10-27-2015 03:07 PM

that actually looks like some great groups you shot.

Semisane 10-27-2015 04:31 PM

Ron, that's a mighty fine result on the 200 yard shot. How much of the paper can you see to the right/left and top/bottom of the cross hairs at that distance?

1874sharpsshooter 10-27-2015 05:04 PM

Dave that nikon is a nice 1x Glad you sold it :)

Grouse45 10-27-2015 05:53 PM

I think your worried about nothing. Go hunting and quit worrying about it. Good shooting!!

ronlaughlin 10-27-2015 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Semisane (Post 4225301)
.....How much of the paper can you see to the right/left and top/bottom of the cross hairs at that distance?

None. What i did to aim, was move the cross hair off the white paper, and then back over it it a few times, until it seemed like it was properly located.

It doesn't seem like much, but i believe the true 1X scope works better for me, than the scope i have been using for the past couple three years. That 1X scope i had been using, actually makes the target smaller when sighting, and that certainly doesn't help.

Never could i ever like the old 1X scope; it was like aiming through a straw; this one i have already made friends with.

WV Hunter 10-28-2015 03:58 AM

That's impressive. I've never actually looked through a 1x scope. I doubt a store anywhere close to me would ever sell one, as we have no restrictions. To me, its a dumb law but you are making the most out of it. Good luck, glad you like it!

Gm54-120 10-28-2015 08:22 AM

Vortex makes nice scopes. IIRC Sightron or Swift used to make a decent 1x scope also.

1874sharpsshooter 10-28-2015 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 (Post 4225425)
Vortex makes nice scopes. IIRC Sightron or Swift used to make a decent 1x scope also.

I agree I have 3 vortex scopes , including the 1x crossfire like Ron's and its hard to beat them for the money