Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Speer 300 gr. .452 Deep Curl???? >

Speer 300 gr. .452 Deep Curl????

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Speer 300 gr. .452 Deep Curl????

Old 10-25-2015, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Speer 300 gr. .452 Deep Curl????

Does anyone have these in stock? Can't seem to find them anywhere.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

I haven't seen them in stock any place in a long time. I sure am glad I have about a hundred in reserve.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you find them please let me know where.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

I was hoping you guys had a secret spot. I have about 175 I stock just wanted to stock up on some more. Anybody know why they are so hard to find?
Old 10-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe this time of year ammo manufacturers are focusing on hunting rounds and not components. Just a guess.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SHulion
I was hoping you guys had a secret spot. I have about 175 I stock just wanted to stock up on some more. Anybody know why they are so hard to find?

A while back I called and emailed Speer. Standard response (working 24/7, horders, etc.).
Old 10-26-2015, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, i don't know why, however i do have a theory. It is my thought that Speer is supplying ammunition in large quantities. This is fully utilizing their bullet production line. If you look around you will see that the 230g Gold Dot is available some places, and was available at other places. To me this indicates the bullet production focused on this Gold Dot, and not on the Deep Curl.

Me, i haven't purchased the 300g Deep Curl for many moons, but i have purchased hundreds of the 230g Gold Dot here recently. These Gold Dot will not be used in my rifle, but are being utilized for shooting in pistols.

Once upon a time, i used the 300g Deep Curl for target practice. Not anymore. These days i use the readily available 300g XTP for shooting paper, except for the last couple three shots before hunting, with the Deep Curl.

The 300g Deep Curl put many a deer into our freezer, and is revered. Tests done to compare bullets show the Deep Curl is a mighty fine bullet. It is a bullet that is accurate, and it flies well too. For me, the bullet has no negatives.

Searching for a replacement led me to using the 250g Hornady Monoflex. Using the same powder charge as used for the Deep Curl, the monoflex flies almost exactly the same as the Deep Curl. The monoflex seems to be a little more accurate than the Deep Curl. The tests done this past summer indicate the monoflex has very good terminal performance.

The 300g Deep Curl put many a deer into our freezer, and is revered. Tests done to compare bullets show the Deep Curl is a mighty fine bullet. It is a bullet that is accurate, and it flies well too. For me, the bullet has no negatives.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you run out, use the 300 gr XTP. Neither deer nor elk will notice a difference. Just beware - the water jug testers that participate here might say otherwise.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I doubled checked all my sources and cant find any.

Have you considered the Sierra 458 300gr JHP as a temporary substitute?
Old 10-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
I doubled checked all my sources and cant find any.

Have you considered the Sierra 458 300gr JHP as a temporary substitute?
Just to add a little bit - I shoot the Sierra that Scott is talking about quite a bit. I have not hunted with it but accuracy is great! and the bullets that I have looked at that I recovered from soil behind the target certainly would have done the job. Not all of them expanded perfectly some showed an odd deformed expansion - but the did expand and none were stripped copper from lead. I guess I should also add the Palouse dry clay is not an idea expansion mechanism.

I personally would use these all day versus the XTP line that have and will often strip themselves separating copper from lead. But even that can be beat to a certain extent just shoot nominal powder loads.

Last edited by sabotloader; 10-26-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.