HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Connecticut Valley Arms .32 Squirrel Gun? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/402188-connecticut-valley-arms-32-squirrel-gun.html)

skiftcky 10-21-2015 04:56 AM

Connecticut Valley Arms .32 Squirrel Gun?

Hey all, I recently was given a CVA .32 Caliber Squirrel gun. Looks to be in really good shape. However, I do not know much about it. I looked up the rounds for it and could only find .32 ball rounds. I think the diameter on the recommended round is .310. I did find some .308 bullets and was wondering if this would work in that little gun. Also any other history, stats, data on that particular model would be welcome, I want to know as much as possible about them. Will post some pictures here in a few.

WV Hunter 10-21-2015 06:32 AM

From what I've seen, most everyone that has the small cal bp rifles uses patched round balls. Cool little gun, I'd like to have a small cal one day. They can shoot quite well and be hell on squirrels for sure. I'm sure someone will chime in with specific experience on that gun. :D

MountainDevil54 10-21-2015 09:36 AM

no on the 308 bullets. You might be able to find some .32cal maxi balls but most use the simple patched round ball.

skiftcky 10-21-2015 10:52 AM

Yeah, All I have seen for it is the ball rounds for it. I was hoping to get something that would provide a bit more accuracy but in the end it will still be fun to shoot. I think what I will do is let my son shoot it as his 1st muzzle loader. You know you're raising them right when they walk in, see the traditional look of the rifle, jaw drops and he say's "It's beautiful".

bronko22000 10-21-2015 12:25 PM

You'll just have to play with it. Trying different patch thicknesses and powder charges until you find one that it shoots well.
Start with 20 gr of FFFg powder and .010" patch. Move up in 5 gr increments. Then start over using .015" patches. If you still don't think the ball/patch combo is tight enough you can go to a .020" patch. But you likely won't have to.
Be forewarned - the little .32 bore fouls quickly. You had better swab your bore out after each shot. You can use a simple spit patch on a jag to wipe most of the fouling out.

skiftcky 10-21-2015 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4224354)
You'll just have to play with it. Trying different patch thicknesses and powder charges until you find one that it shoots well.
Start with 20 gr of FFFg powder and .010" patch. Move up in 5 gr increments. Then start over using .015" patches. If you still don't think the ball/patch combo is tight enough you can go to a .020" patch. But you likely won't have to.
Be forewarned - the little .32 bore fouls quickly. You had better swab your bore out after each shot. You can use a simple spit patch on a jag to wipe most of the fouling out.

That is very god info, thank you. I have yet to find any type of owners manual or such to get the specs ratings and capacities straight from the manufacturer. will keep looking tho. I don't even see any for sale other than a couple used... guess it's out of production.

bronko22000 10-21-2015 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by skiftcky (Post 4224384)
That is very god info, thank you. I have yet to find any type of owners manual or such to get the specs ratings and capacities straight from the manufacturer. will keep looking tho. I don't even see any for sale other than a couple used... guess it's out of production.

One more thing. There is no need to go beyond 40 gr. And I don't think I'd even go that high. When I had mine I think I was shooting 25 gr with a .310 ball and .010" patch.

Semisane 10-22-2015 06:04 AM

super_hunt54 10-22-2015 07:19 AM

LOL me thinks Semi just made a point!! No words needed!

skiftcky 10-22-2015 08:05 AM

Awesome grouping Semisane, is that shooting the factory iron sights or scoped? I doubt very seriously that I will scope mine... just seems to take away from the aesthetics of the rifle, not to mention I want my kid to learn traditional before he shoots scoped.