Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Connecticut Valley Arms .32 Squirrel Gun? >

Connecticut Valley Arms .32 Squirrel Gun?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Connecticut Valley Arms .32 Squirrel Gun?

Old 10-22-2015, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's with the factory sights. And I have to tell you my old bifocal eyes had a hard time with those sights.

I ended up making a home made peep sight for the gun, but haven't shot it with the new sight yet. You can see it here. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...eep-sight.html
Old 10-22-2015, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
That's with the factory sights. And I have to tell you my old bifocal eyes had a hard time with those sights.

I ended up making a home made peep sight for the gun, but haven't shot it with the new sight yet. You can see it here. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...eep-sight.html
Semi is a pretty handy guy. But if you don't have the ability or the tools needed to make this you can get a Williams WGRS sight to replace your rear sight. They cost about $40.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
You'll just have to play with it. Trying different patch thicknesses and powder charges until you find one that it shoots well.
Start with 20 gr of FFFg powder and .010" patch. Move up in 5 gr increments. Then start over using .015" patches. If you still don't think the ball/patch combo is tight enough you can go to a .020" patch. But you likely won't have to.
Be forewarned - the little .32 bore fouls quickly. You had better swab your bore out after each shot. You can use a simple spit patch on a jag to wipe most of the fouling out.
I would start with 10 grains and move up from there and probably wouldn't exceed 35 grains... it's a squirrel rifle, not a cannon. T/C lists their max load at 50 grains but that's waaay too much IMO! If you can't find FFFg black locally, try Pyrodex P, I've had good luck with both in my .32 rifles, and I don't exceed 25 grains in either. You should be able to find .310 round balls through most online suppliers of black powder firearms and accessories. I would also try different patch lubes although you can keep things simple and use good ol' Olive Oil or Crisco even pure hog lard (unsalted) if you like. My rifles shoot the .310 ball great with both .010 and .015 patch but the .020 patch is too tight. One important thing you should keep in mind, you have to push that ball down the barrel with that skinny little ramrod and the tighter the ball/patch combo, the greater the risk of breaking it! So stick with a lighter load and ball/patch combo that gives you decent accuracy and less fouling and you'll enjoy shooting the little smokepole.

Here's a link you should find helpful. These folks have just about anything a black powder shooter could ever want or need...

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/127/1

BPS
Old 10-24-2015, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for that web site. I try to stay away from the big corporate vendors (much better service and follow up from the small business)
Old 10-24-2015, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane

I went and checked it out, very neat mod you did there. that would be a nice mod for an old air rifle I have as a test run.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

I have never owed one of those but they are neat little rifles The barrel is 11/16 across the flats, which make it extremely light weight and easy to handle. It is designed for a patched round ball. It will be a dandy little rifle for small game and plinking. Also it will not break you to shoot it. You should get about 300- 450 shots per pound of powder. I have a 32 cal flint rifle that I built in the 1980s and it will clean a squirrel's sinuses out.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skiftcky
Thanks for that web site. I try to stay away from the big corporate vendors (much better service and follow up from the small business)
Yes, I do too...

But many times small local shops or businesses just don't have what I want or need and if it's something that has to be ordered, well, I can order it myself and save the markup which is usually 25-30%. Many of us on this forum deal with TOW (they're NOT a chain store) because they specialize in muzzleloading, not just guns, ammo, or accessories in general. But, it's your $$$ and your right to spend it as you wish.

BPS