Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Initial range report on Omega >

Initial range report on Omega

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Initial range report on Omega

Old 10-20-2015, 10:29 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Default Initial range report on Omega

Got the Omega barrel back and was really wanting to try the new sight system out. I decided to just start at 75 yards since it wasn't sighted in, then if all went well move back. The sights are definitely to my liking. And there is plenty of elevation adjustment.

here she is in all her glory

the sights :

I loaded up and took the first shot. I used the deer target that my wife was using to get ready for her Refuge hunt. The first shot was very low. you can see it on the bottom of the target in the white. That's when I realized in my haste I didn't bring the allen wrench to adjust the front sight. I decided rather than go back and get it that I would adjust the rear only this time around. I made 1 adjustment , shot, made a second adjustment , shot and then the third and final adjustment .

this is the target . The very bottom hole in the heart is from my wife's practice yesterday s so just ignore it.

after final adjustment I shot a 3 shot group

that's circled here

95gr by weight Blackhorn 209
federal primer
270 Parker e-max and .60 veggie wad
75 yards Open sights. initial sight in. I will probably undo all this and make my front sight adjustment , then fine tune the rear

I put all the info on the target pictures to better explain but it seems that photobucket ain't cooperating.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Methinks you got a good one Sharpsshooter.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

That is a really nice looking setup! Of all the TC's out there I still think the Omega was the best.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:03 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by sabotloader
That is a really nice looking setup! Of all the TC's out there I still think the Omega was the best.
I agree and couple this up with a fast twist Knight Mountaineer and a person would have quite the dynamic duo for long range shooting 😅

Old 10-20-2015, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I sure got a purty sight.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sweet! That is an impressive looking setup. Can't wait to see you stretch her out.

Only thing you are missing is a fierce set of teeth up front
Old 10-20-2015, 01:47 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Sweet! That is an impressive looking setup. Can't wait to see you stretch her out.

Only thing you are missing is a fierce set of teeth up front
After 20 shots i was beginning to think i might need a fierce set of teeth , mine were starting to feel loose

Old 10-21-2015, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
After 20 shots i was beginning to think i might need a fierce set of teeth , mine were starting to feel loose

Haha. I hear ya. I have no interest in shooting a load that stiff, even if I had a rifle that could do it. Beautiful rifle, I hope you get to break her in on some game soon