Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Elk jerky time!!

Old 10-15-2015, 04:00 PM
Banned

Default Elk jerky time!!

well I finally put all the elk scraps to use! I used the kitchen aid and ran the scrap meat through a grinder with the medium blade and then ran it through the thin blade for a finer grade of burger. Stuff came out beautiful!

I mix anywhere from 2 to 2.5lbs at a time and it will make a lot of jerky strips.

One on the rack I pre heat the oven to 200* and in the oven they go with the lid open a bit for 1 hour and 15-20 minutes. I don't like dry chalky jerky, once it cools and it has a nice crisp snap, shes good to go! I've made a ton of it so far, just need to pick up more seasoning. The sweet and spicy seasoning is awesome and gives off just the right amount of heat.

I'll be pulling out a few bags of deer scraps next and make a batch and then vacuum seal the bags.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks great Devil! So, when should I expect my samples to arrive?
Old 10-15-2015, 06:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I actually have a "jerky shooter" that you add spiced ground venison (or beef) and then it will lay out a perfect ribbon of meat onto a tray. And like MD said, you pop that in the oven (I use my electric smoker) and reduce it until you have the moisture content you like. I found I vacuum seal it but still have to freeze the unused parts unless I add some of the preservative chemicals I have for making salami to it.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:56 AM
Typical Buck

That looks delicious! I just ordered a LEM jerky cannon a couple days ago from Amazon. It holds 1.5 pounds of ground meat (venison) and I cant wait to try it out. All I need now is a good grinder (deer) to show up. I shot a small doe with my xbow last weekend but she was too young and delicious for jerky. I cut her up into roasts but did save some scraps to add to a grinder, assuming I get one of course.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks good. What brand seasoning/cure do you use?
I have to get some, ran out last time I did some.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a homemade recipe for ground venison jerky. Its really good. Every time I make it I have to hide a couple packs for myself because once the grandkids see it - its history.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Making my mouth water. I'm anxious to make some jerky this year too. It doesn't last long enough once everyone knows I made it.