HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Off Topic Respect (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/401424-off-topic-respect.html)

flounder33 09-14-2015 04:08 PM

Off Topic Respect

R E S P E C T

You're a 19 year old kid. You are critically wounded and dying in the jungle somewhere in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam . It's November 11, 1967. LZ (landin...g zone) X-ray. Your unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense from 100 yards away, that your CO (commanding officer) has ordered the MedEvac helicopters to stop coming in. You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out. Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again.

As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day. Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter. You look up to see a Huey coming in. But.. It doesn't seem real because no MedEvac markings are on it. Captain Ed Freeman is coming in for you. He's not MedEvac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway. Even after the MedEvacs were ordered not to come. He's coming anyway. And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3 of you at a time on board. Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses and safety. And, he kept coming back!! 13 more times!! Until all the wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left arm. He took 29 of you and your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it without the Captain and his Huey. Medal of Honor Recipient, Captain Ed Freeman, United States Air Force, died last Wednesday at the age of 70, in Boise, Idaho. May God Bless and Rest His Soul.

I bet you didn't hear about this hero's passing, We’ve heard plenty about murders, Health Care, Border security etc. BUT NOTHING ABOUT THE PASSING OF Medal of Honor Winner Captain Ed Freeman. Shame on the media !!! Now... YOU pass this along. Honor this real Hero. Please

BarnesAddict 09-14-2015 04:35 PM

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ida...?pid=116135560

sabotloader 09-14-2015 05:09 PM

Thank you Art for posting this information about a true American hero. Thanks BarnesA for finding and presenting this obit.

It would have really been nice had this made the National News - but somehow I really do not think Mr. Freeman would complain and he knew the people that mattered to him the knew.

Now some of us that didn't know - now know!

CalHunter 09-14-2015 07:14 PM

Should have been on the front page. That is an extremely well known and oft cited story of heroism and valor. God bless and keep Capt. Freeman. Respect!!! :patriot::patriot::patriot:

Josmund 09-14-2015 07:32 PM

Thanks for sharing.

WV Hunter 09-15-2015 03:32 AM

Ditto, thanks for sharing. Respect.

olsaltydog 09-15-2015 03:37 AM

Thanks for this post, much respect and may he rest in peace. Will add that he passed back in Aug 2008 at the age of 80. The article though I still find very respectful to him is another piece being circulated around the media that is not true. Sorry

alleyyooper 09-15-2015 05:09 AM

No mattered how you put it the American veteran is getting a screwing by the fancy pants elected to run our country. I'm not talking any special veterans of any war or time period either. This country spends more money every 3 months in aid to other country's than is spent on the care of AMERICAN veteran's.
Just about every day if you turn the boob tube on you will see this org or that org asking for donations to help the vets in one form or another.
Just yesterday on PBS this old house was building homes for vets who were handicapped in the middle east.

Way I see it NOT ONE VET SHOULD HAVE A NEED not taken care of by the country they served.
then we can aid other country's.

:D Al

hubby11 09-15-2015 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by olsaltydog (Post 4218262)
Thanks for this post, much respect and may he rest in peace. Will add that he passed back in Aug 2008 at the age of 80. The article though I still find very respectful to him is another piece being circulated around the media that is not true. Sorry

Agree. Lying for a good cause is still lying.

Not suggesting anyone here is intentionally trying to mislead.

Much resepct for Captain Freeman.

The OP did make me look up Ed Freeman. In addition to his Medal of Honor related actions, he served in WWII and the Korean war. From Wikipedia:

He participated in the Battle of Pork Chop Hill and earned a battlefield commission as one of only 14 survivors out of 257 men who made it through the opening stages of the battle. His second lieutenant bars were pinned on by General James Van Fleet personally. He then assumed command of B Company and led them back up Pork Chop Hill.

Think of that. "Congradulations for surviving, you're now an officer. Now take your men back up the same hill." Amazing.

flounder33 09-15-2015 05:30 AM

I guess I took it at face value without looking up the obituary. It seemed worth sharing and I posted it without doing diligent research.
MY mistake, sorry if anyone thinks I was trying to mislead them.