Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Minimum bore/bullet requirements >

Minimum bore/bullet requirements

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: Do you feel there should be a minimum bore/bullet size for big game
Yes there should be a minimum
84.00%
Nope there shouldn't be.
16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Minimum bore/bullet requirements

Old 08-16-2015, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt a county where the reg.'s keep flip flopping on CF rifle usage. They allow it roughly once every 10 years only to cancel it the following season. This has occurred various times. I will say it must be tough trying to regulate and pass these laws having to suit various hunters and using the proper legal terminology with all the various weapons that must be considered.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to teach the Hunter's Safety course here in NC...

You guys are giving our government employees way too much credit!!!

It's amazing how many know nothing about hunting or proper calibers...

I'll stay away from what will kill a deer easily simply because in the right hands you
would be surprised how easily a deer can be killed...We killed 350 pound hogs with a .22 short out of a revolver back in the 50s and 60s...
Old 08-16-2015, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I changed my mind...

Super...

You jump on people pretty hard...Question for you, how many deer have you killed with a .22 centerfire???

"Your state is in serious need of an overhaul and a weeding out of idiots if your regulatory commission is allowing .22 hornet cartridge to be used on whitetail. That is beyond unethical and just plain old stupidity. So yes I guess I would have to agree that in your states case they SHOULDN'T be allowed to set any regulations whatsoever and should be removed from office"
Old 08-16-2015, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I changed my mind...

Super...

You jump on people pretty hard...Question for you, how many deer have you killed with a .22 centerfire???
When it comes to ethical and humane hunting, you are dang right I jump hard. Our wildlife DESERVE no LESS! CAN a .22 caliber bullet such as the hornet cartridge kill a whitetail? Sure it can, I can throw a rock, hit a deer just right and kill it too! Does that mean we should start deer hunting with rocks? The question is, just what percentage of hunters out there have the ability to PERFECTLY place small caliber rounds without wounding/crippling a deer? You can bet that percentage is MUCH lower than you would imagine. And as far as your killing hogs with .22 shorts, stunning a hog in a cage/trap aint the same as hunting them in the field.

Last edited by super_hunt54; 08-16-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I've killed about 50 deer with a 22-250, never lost a one...This was back in the '60s before Nosler Partitions came out in .22 caliber...My niece has killed 17 with a 22-250 and the 60gr Noslers...

I've also killed about 30 deer with a .22 long rifle, see, I grew up a squirrel hunter and only taking head shots...A deer will drop right now with a .22 long rifle in the brain...Plenty of times, I've been hunting a white oak grove to have a deer feed through and offer a perfect shot...

A .390 round ball inside my .40 caliber flintlock and 60grs Goex has been the demise of a few deer as well...

If a fellow can't put a bullet inside the lungs of a whitetail a larger caliber isn't going to help him anyway...