Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
300 Grain Barnes Original >

300 Grain Barnes Original

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

300 Grain Barnes Original

Old 08-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Banned

Shoot, I put a .58cal ball into my doe last year and she dropped on the spot LOL. I found the ball in her right ham later on. Excellent performance!
Old 08-11-2015, 06:27 PM
Dominant Buck

very impressive penetration. Its a shame you could not find the bullet. It would have been interesting to see the expansion and weight. Although with the way it blew out the jugs like that, I think there would have been some expansion as well. Great test. I shoot the 300 grain Barnes MZ expanders. I like them. Other then at the cash register.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Ran into that more than a few times in PA Grouse. Deer running dead with a perfectly placed heart/lung shot and someone else putting a round in it (with it laying there mostly dead) and claiming it. Not to mention, dead right there shots= NO LACTIC ACID! No gamey flavor in other words. Or at least very little.
I'm a big believer in the no lactic acid effect on deer meat. Deer that have been pushed hard by other hunters have foul taste.

If all things are perfect, I prefer a double lung shot, however, I frequently must take the shot available.

The bullet has impressive results.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, that would do some damage through the shoulders for sure. I bet if you found it there wouldn't be much expansion.
Personally, I don't typically aim for the shoulder if I can help it, but I really don't care if I damage a shoulder. Our smaller sized deer don't have alot of meat on them as it is. Every year we have plenty of shoulders that get tossed due to being shot up.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

A Knight LRH 52cal has no problem getting this bullet out of the muzzle at around 2100fps with BH209. It does thump pretty hard. I prefer the 325gr FTX because it cost far less and expands just a little easier.

This is what the BOs i shot into media looked like. I had to dig it out of some wood after going through some jugs, soaked phone books and a dry phone book.

Barnes Original .458 300gr Semi Spitzer Retained 274gr Expanded OD .722-.709 110gr BH209