Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hunting Wallows In ML Season >

Hunting Wallows In ML Season

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunting Wallows In ML Season

Old 07-31-2015, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting Wallows In ML Season

For those of you who hunt or have hunted elk during muzzleloading season (traditionally during the rut) have you had any success hunting over wallows?
Old 08-01-2015, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually Archery hunt Elk. Although there have been some cases of rifle. So most generally I am hunting pre rut to peak rut. Some states, I think Colorado is one, have special permit hunts for Black powder at the later part of the rut. Anyway, during pre rut is really the easiest time to hunt the wallows since it's fairly hot out still (to me and most Elk hot=anything above 60) and the flies are still bugging the heck out of them. After that, hunting a wallow can be some serious hit or miss. If you found an active wallow you can try it, but I've always relied on calling and herd tracking myself.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I only use wallows to find the trails back to bedding areas.

btw The muzzy season here is more at the beginning of the rut, or mid rut at best.