Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint >

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Old 08-02-2015, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
.....Not counting the Lehigh.....
Why not? One can purchase it with money just like all the other bullets. It shreds the more front jugs, just like all the other good bullets. It penetrates deeper than most.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

He didn't test an MZ. It might do the same thing. The T-EZ expanded perfectly with 80gr of BH.

I'll be using 100-110gr. I'm sure it will expand at 150yds.

Is this why you're saying the T-EZ isn't a good bullet, and the MZ is better? Kind of weak when the MZ wasn't even tested.
I have experience with both, but you do what you want.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Why not? One can purchase it with money just like all the other bullets. It shreds the more front jugs, just like all the other good bullets. It penetrates deeper than most.
Because it's a different construction, and can't be compared to the other bullets. I'm just talking about the bullets that expand without losing it petals. Apples to apples. The only reason the T-EZ didn't penetrate as far as the others is it had to expand faster. No other explanation for not penetrating as far. It didn't lose any weight.

The Lehigh is a good bullet, but it will always win penetration tests. It will however lose points for weight retained. If the retained base blow through the game, and kills a tree. What advantage did the extra penetration have? Would a bullet that expands, retains it's weight, but still shoots through the game be better, or worse? I know the petals blowing off the Lehigh are doing damage, but so are the razor sharp petals on a Barnes doing damage as they spin through the wound channel.

Lehigh looks great on torture tests. Do they outperform Barnes type bullets on game? How can that be tested?

I think the Bloodline is a great bullet, but I won't decide to use it based on water bottles. I also have concerns about the petals flying into areas I don't want them to.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I have experience with both, but you do what you want.
That's what I asked you. Tell me why it's better with some examples? Using Ron's test when only one of them was tested isn't a way to prove the MZ is better.

I'll use the MZ if it's better, but I haven't heard that until you said it.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Because it's a different construction, and can't be compared to the other bullets......
Sure it can, i did when i shot it, and i did it again in a prior post. It is the perfect bullet for you to use. You won't have to endure as much recoil if you use the Lehigh, because you can rely on it to work at low speeds. All the other bullets failed at low speeds.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Sure it can, i did when i shot it, and i did it again in a prior post. It is the perfect bullet for you to use. You won't have to endure as much recoil if you use the Lehigh, because you can rely on it to work at low speeds. All the other bullets failed at low speeds.
Yeah, but wasn't it a bit too low? At my ranges I don't think my fps will ever get that low.

I have a problem with the Bloodline. It's the big hollow point. When i shot the Optima I sighted in the the 250gr Areolite. I had it dead center at 100yds. I had a few Barnes 250gr T-EZ I shot too, and it shot to the exact same POI as the Aerolite. I also had a few of the Bloodlines. Mike sent them to me, and I assume they were 250gr, but now that I think about it i'm not sure. I don't know how long a brass bullet should be? Anyway, they shot 4" lower than the Barnes or Aerolite. This could mean it's losing fps to the other two bullets. I'm thinking it's the big hollow point. I'm trying to retain as much energy as possible, because i'm not using heavy bullets.

Now, if the Bloodline was a 275gr i'll have to rethink this. Mike might remember.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Look how easily the T-EZ expands.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just remember, while there's a # of good terminally performing bullets, will the one you choose give acceptable accuracy from your gun at your chosen range. That's to be determined. At some point you may want to test the better bullets and see which one groups best from your gun.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure I understand all the allegiance, drama, anger, frustration ect regarding ML bullets. In the last 10 years I've killed quite a few deer with XTPs, Gold Dot/Deep Curls, Barnes ect (in various different models) and the results were all the same. Either they dropped right on the spot or ran less than 40 yards and piled up. When you open them up, they looked the same a well.

With the exception of roundballs and Powerbelts, most of the bullets on the market today seem to do a great job.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Correct Hagies

Don't need any fancy bullet to harvest deer. Those you mentioned are proven killers, plus SSTs, Precisions and Harvesters work very well. No reason to pay over 75 cents for a deer bullet either. Even the largest offerings by the names mentioned right here and inside Hagie's post, will harvest larger game like elk.

Sure, I'd like to use Lehigh bullets. Get the CF price down to 75 cents please. No interest in those XPs thou. I want expansion bullets-only.

Members shooting deer need to test their sanity, when purchasing those $1.60 per bullet Federal Trophys. Even a dying deer that could talk would tell them they wasted their hard-earned money, before expiring.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 08-03-2015 at 05:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.