Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint >

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Old 08-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
LOL, There are more "long tales" about Elmer Keith and his exploits than I could read about in a lifetime. Been casting Keith style SWC's (not the changed up Lyman crappers but the original design he made up for Ideal) for years in my .45lc's for hogging. But needless to say, aint either one of us Elmer Keith and a 4 inch barreled .44mag just aint a good hunting option for an even above average pistol shooter. But none of that is either here nor there since you got your ML'er recoil problems figured out.
Yes, of course but the shot was duplicated on Impossible Shots. So, it can be done. Elmer probably took short steps, but i'm sure it was a long shot what ever the distance. He had witnesses.

A lot of guys hunt with 5" barrels. Not that much difference.

Not that it matters now.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's a gel/foam insert. It basically redistributes the recoil pulse over a larger area making the "felt" recoil much less.
Ah ok. Sure works. They also have a 1" thick bench shooting version. That must really tame the recoil.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a gel/foam insert. It basically redistributes the recoil pulse over a larger area making the "felt" recoil much less.
Is it a gel/foam or is it possibly made using sorbothane?

Sorbothane is a top of the line product. We tested it years back pretty thoroughly for GM. Sorbothane product uses the minimal amount of material to eliminate shock, vibration etc.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Could be Barnes, never cut one open, just know it's some form of foam product and gel foams were pretty much the norm in recoil reduction pads.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Could be Barnes, never cut one open, just know it's some form of foam product and gel foams were pretty much the norm in recoil reduction pads.
The reason for asking about sorbothane is, its probably the top vibration and shock product. As stated, I did considerable testing of the product for GM when it first appeared years ago. Testing indicated it was superior over all gels and foams, including all other shock reduction materials. It was so highly regarded, that at one time it was written into one of the contracts between the UAW and GM. It wouldn't surprise me if many of the recoil pads weren't made for the manufacturer by Sorbothane.
All I know is that PAST works great!

http://www.sorbothane.com/material-properties.aspx
Old 08-02-2015, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
What sort of crazy material do they use for the pad? It's only 1/4" thick. I didn't think it was going to do anything, but was I wrong.
Don't forget that your extra layering/jacket will also help if you hunt when the weather turns cooler.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Have you ever tried a mercury recoil tube. Have one in a Remington 760 30/06 and it kicks less then a 243 to me. Have another 760 in 06 with out the mercury tube and the recoil is a lot more noticeable. Bought it with it in the stock or I wouldn't have put it in. I don't mind recoil so it doesn't matter to me but I was surprised by the diffences it makes.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 250g monoflex ruined all 5 jugs after going through the carpet, plywood, and water. The bullet tested in this thread left 3 jugs totally unaffected.

Unlike the bullet tested in this thread, the Hornady Monoflex, seems kinda interesting.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bbj270
Have you ever tried a mercury recoil tube. Have one in a Remington 760 30/06 and it kicks less then a 243 to me. Have another 760 in 06 with out the mercury tube and the recoil is a lot more noticeable. Bought it with it in the stock or I wouldn't have put it in. I don't mind recoil so it doesn't matter to me but I was surprised by the diffences it makes.
I used one when I was trap shooting, and it worked good. I can't with the Optima, because of the hollow stock.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The 250g monoflex ruined all 5 jugs after going through the carpet, plywood, and water. The bullet tested in this thread left 3 jugs totally unaffected.

Unlike the bullet tested in this thread, the Hornady Monoflex, seems kinda interesting.
No fear Ron. I'll use a sabot for elk. Probably a Barnes 250gr T-EZ since Carlos has a good price on them. I'll use 100-110gr of BH now that I have the recoil manageable.

I have the muley buck tag for 2nd rifle season. That's Oct 17-25. I plan to get an OTC bull tag for another unit that's not too far from me. I have to go over a 13,000ft pass, so hopefully not too much snow, or they'll close the pass. My unit isn't OTC. The OTC elk unit will be very crowded. The plan is to hunt the first weekend in my unit for the buck. The first weekend in the OTC elk unit will be a zoo, and I know the hunters will be gone by Monday, or hanging out in camp, because they're worn out already. I'll hunt the elk unit Mon-Fri, or until I get an elk if I get lucky. Then if I didn't get a deer the first weekend i'll go back to my unit to hunt for deer the last weekend.

So, 4 days for deer, and 5 days for elk. I'll be worn out by then. So, I don't want to mess with two different loads for deer/elk. I could use a 338gr PB for both, but i'm a chicken, and want a more proven bullet. I know the Barnes will work.

I know it's a contradiction to this whole thread, but I don't want to lose an animal just to prove a point. I still feel the PB would work, but why shoot a 338gr bullet when I can get it done with a 250gr bullet? The PAST pad is going to work only so good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.