HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   The difference in twist (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/400301-difference-twist.html)

lemoyne 07-15-2015 07:37 PM

The difference in twist

Running the 215 CF. on my Greenhill program I come up with a 1 in 24 twist as ideal. Now to me that is not all that far from a 1 in 28 twist, so I played with the math a bit.
A 1 in 24 twist at 1800 FPS gives 900 RPS
I consider 1800 FPS a normal velocity for a muzzleloader.
a 1 in 28 twist at 2100 FPS gives 900 RPS
This is easily attainable with 777 or Blackhorn with out going to a max load.
It should work unless my math is wrong.
Comments or corrections?:sad:

1874sharpsshooter 07-15-2015 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by lemoyne (Post 4207139)
Running the 215 CF. on my Greenhill program I come up with a 1 in 24 twist as ideal. Now to me that is not all that far from a 1 in 28 twist, so I played with the math a bit.

I agree, i shot the 215 in a 50 cal 1:28 and it was accurate . I wouldnt have any qualms about hunting with it in that gun if i needed to . (Of course i dont need to) :)

sabotloader 07-15-2015 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by lemoyne (Post 4207139)

Lee, You are the second person that has run the calculations, I believe GM54-120 came up with 1/23. Since you both are in the same neighborhood and the fact that you have been doing this for a looong time, I really trust your math and I agree with you that it might be possible to shoot these just fine in a 1-28. Especially if you have good fitting bullet sabot combination. In a 1-28 you can not afford any slip at all and the velocity is up where you want it.

I just finished another round of testing using a 1-24 and I dropped down to 80 grains of BH and had no sign of yaw on the target or the target board - the board actually looked better than the target. Here at 2600 ft. elevation 80 grains of BH should yield about 1825-1840 fps while 80 grains of T7-2f yields about 1850-1860. Which seems to go along with your calculations.

I do plan to return to a 1/28 and even a 1/30 hopefully soon but I really need to get some maintenance work completed on campus.

lemoyne 07-16-2015 05:21 AM

Past experience leads me to believe that I like to have 900RPS[rotation per second]minimum
So the mathematical factor for a 1-30 twist is 2.5/ 2250 =900RPS [twist divided by 12 =2.5] [2250 divided by 2.5]
So to get longer range stability with a 1-30 I think you will have to push it.
I have wondered for a long time why all the good companies of any size use 1-28 when the practical answer for a bullet designed for a muzzle loader [inline] is 1-24.
I guess they expect us to use pistol bullets.

1874sharpsshooter 07-16-2015 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by lemoyne (Post 4207163)
I have wondered for a long time why all the good companies of any size use 1-28 when the practical answer for a bullet designed for a muzzle loader [inline] is 1-24.
I guess they expect us to use pistol bullets.

Yep,white had that figured out , other companies seem to stick with the attitude "this is the way we have always done it "
Knight is a prime example

Triple Se7en 07-16-2015 06:17 AM

That doesn't mean it will translate into good sales for Knight's new rifle this fall. It is possible that Knight just got too many DWB's talking to them for the past couple years. For the truth be told, I am nowhere convinced this industry is ready for a change from sabots, back to using conicals.

I do believe Knight will be disappointed with sales, from year-2 on. The first year might be pretty good, for the discontinued White rifles are now becoming outdated, old, and some just plain worn-out. So plenty of DWBs will want that new Knight rifle coming out.... I heard September.

America is still in love with sabot guns. They show no signs yet of letting go...... That's why I believe Knight honchos have been listening to a very-very-very small group of future purchasers, filling their heads on making a new ML that will eventually fizzle, because America is not surrendering their love affair with ML sabots.

Will I buy that new conical-loving Knight rifle?...... probably. I regret never owning a beautiful White Super Safari I handled at Dunham Sporting Goods many years ago. At that time, I purchased the Pedersoli Rolling Block 54-cal inline instead. Sold that a year later..... small trigger guard overlook/oversight by me and my easily frozen fingers during Michigan winters.

Gm54-120 07-16-2015 06:24 AM

Same here. IMO a 1-24 makes the most sense. You give up very little with that twist in a 50cal. 200gr bullets need to be shot a bit slower sometimes but that is the only negative i can find.

Pedersoli
White
Kahnke
Savage
GM SharpShooter
Rossi
Pfeifer (sp?)
Gonic
MDM

All these companies and more offered 1-24s. A couple still do.

Gm54-120 07-16-2015 06:28 AM

I am nowhere convinced this industry is ready for a change from sabots, back to using conicals.
Is there some reason you would need to switch to conicals using a 1-24 twist instead of a 1-28? Savage used it for years with smokeless at speeds much faster than conventional MLs. SABOTS only were allowed with smokeless in the Savage. Whites even shoot quite a few sabots just fine. My Perdersoli shot them fine.

Me thinks you have been believing PR's propaganda a bit too much.

1874sharpsshooter 07-16-2015 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en (Post 4207181)
That doesn't mean it will translate into good sales for Knight's new rifle this fall. It is possible that Knight just got too many DWB's talking to them for the past couple years. For the truth be told, I am nowhere convinced this industry is ready for a change from sabots, back to using conicals.

I do believe Knight will be disappointed with sales, from year-2 on. The first year might be pretty good, for the discontinued White rifles are now becoming outdated, old, and some just plain worn-out. So plenty of DWBs will want that new Knight rifle coming out.... I heard September.

America is still in love with sabot guns. They show no signs yet of letting go...... That's why I believe Knight honchos have been listening to a very-very-very small group of future purchasers, filling their heads on making a new ML that will eventually fizzle, because America is not surrendering their love affair with ML sabots.

Will I buy that new conical-loving Knight rifle?...... probably. I regret never owning a beautiful White Super Safari I handled at Dunham Sporting Goods many years ago. At that time, I purchased the Pedersoli Rolling Block 54-cal inline instead. Sold that a year later..... small trigger guard overlook/oversight by me and my easily frozen fingers during Michigan winters.

Has nothing to do with conicals . Has to to with the simple fact that 1:24 is better than 1:28 . Knight decided to stay with 1:28! A small amount of 1:24 but no change in industry standard of 1:28 They are missing the boat .

sabotloader 07-16-2015 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 (Post 4207184)
Same here. IMO a 1-24 makes the most sense. You give up very little with that twist in a 50cal. 200gr bullets need to be shot a bit slower sometimes but that is the only negative i can find.

Pedersoli
White
Kahnke
Savage
GM SharpShooter
Rossi
Pfeifer (sp?)
Gonic
MDM

All these companies and more offered 1-24s. A couple still do.

I really do not understand much of what T7 was saying unless, like you mentioned, he is reading and believing much of what Cecil at PR Bullets suggests. I have had several Whites with the 1-24 twist - all of them shot sabots great. The two that I still have shoot sabots without a problem. The 1/24 twist is advantageous in many regards. When Knight re-organized the last time I worked hard at trying to get Knight to reconsider the twist rate of the 50 cals. and even the 45 cal. Being somewhat fair to Knight at they did look at the possibility and they did order some 1-24 test barrels, but in the end the older theme prevailed and the 1-28 twist won out. It is really hard to change traditions and perceptions.