Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
245 Grain Lehigh CF >

245 Grain Lehigh CF

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

245 Grain Lehigh CF

Old 07-15-2015, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 245 Grain Lehigh CF

This morning this bullet was shot into the stack of carpet, plywood, water jugs. Range was 25 yard. Powder charge was 80g Blackhorn. Sabot was short black Harvester. Primer was W209.

1/10 second after impact shown by the photo.

Here is a video of the action. About 1/4 second after impact is the photo below.

After things settled.

The bullet was found in the last jug. The petal was found in the second jug.

The front jug was shredded, but there is two definite exit holes. One made by the bullet, and one by a petal. The second jug shows where the bullet went in, and where two petals, and maybe three went in. There is a hole where the bullet exited, and the top of one side is completely blown out.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im definitely going to have to try these in my ULA at higher speed.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be shooting these in just a little bit out of the Hawken getting it set up and hopefully seeing good accuracy at 60-75 grains T7p for the princess. If I can get them shooting accurately out to 75 yards then I think they will be good medicine for her to drop a fat old Doe I've been eyeing that needs to be taken out. She has a sister that needs a little ML medicine that I will administer myself That is if I haven't already taken her out with bow!
Old 07-15-2015, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Im definitely going to have to try these in my ULA at higher speed.
The Lehigh bullets will do the same thing every time, Low or high velocity. I've never shot Lehigh's out of my ULA!!! I might just do that to in a couple weeks.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, if one of you wouldn't mind, could you please run one of those calculators for me to give me an average speed to be looking for? It's a 1:28 twist 24 inch green mountain barrel, #11 cap. Powder will be T7 (granular FFG) I'll be testing from 60-75 grains. Whichever shows best accuracy. I really don't feel up to setting up the chrony out there today. Wife is gone for the day so I'm doing this on crutches and such.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im guessing the ULA's slower 1-32 twist may need a little more speed to stabilize. I will try for 2100-2150fps which isnt hot at all for the ULA and a 245gr bullet. A light N110 load should do that with ease and offer mild recoil too.

IIRC that is what Chuck liked with the Barnes 245gr Spitfire for accuracy.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 07-15-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

This bullet has peaked my interest after getting jacket seperation in a 250gr non-bonded shockwave last year. I am leaning towards this Lehigh or 250grain Barnes TEZ in the Triumph backed by 100 - 110 grains of BH 209. In your tests or real world damage, how far do the petals radiate after contact? Most of the videos seem to show the wound channels, but petals are rarely found. I like eating heart when not destroyed, but more importantly, assuming a "perfect bowhunting shot" tight behind the shoulder: Do the petals radiate far and wide enough to damage loins, shoulders, etc...? Or is the "wound cone" caused by the petals at seperation not as large a I am imagining?

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Kathwacckkk
This bullet has peaked my interest after getting jacket seperation in a 250gr non-bonded shockwave last year. I am leaning towards this Lehigh or 250grain Barnes TEZ in the Triumph backed by 100 - 110 grains of BH 209. In your tests or real world damage, how far do the petals radiate after contact? Most of the videos seem to show the wound channels, but petals are rarely found. I like eating heart when not destroyed, but more importantly, assuming a "perfect bowhunting shot" tight behind the shoulder: Do the petals radiate far and wide enough to damage loins, shoulders, etc...? Or is the "wound cone" caused by the petals at seperation not as large a I am imagining?

Thanks.
The petals are so light they carry very little energy and really do not travel that far. Their mission is to simple pierce the protective membrane around an organ. The can make their way around the organs in the chest cavity but can not make much headway in muscle tissue. I have been using them for several years now and have not found any petals in the meat. I use to worry about grinding meat for burger thinking I would get a petal - so far it has not happened.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, Sabot, Just got back a few ago. Those 245's are flat out PERFECT out of the Hawk! Started with a light 60gr load at 50 yards. Very mild recoil and dead center bull. Took it up to 70, little more thump at the rear but still acceptable for the princess (if it didn't hurt my still sore ribs and shoulder she will be fine) and hit about an inch high. Fired 5 more at 70gr just for giggles and grouped with a VERY acceptable 1" at 50 (not to shabby for a half blind old man open sight) So, I cleaned her up a good bit and backed the target up to 75 which I will hold her to maximum with open sight. Loaded up 3 more and all three where center bull! I have to say, I'm very impressed with the accuracy. That little old Hawken has always been a fairly good shooter but these bullets performed best from it so far.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good news for the prince and princess.
Bad news for Bambi standing out there at 75 yards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.