Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
250 gr. Gold Dots clearance Sportsman Warehouse >

250 gr. Gold Dots clearance Sportsman Warehouse

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

250 gr. Gold Dots clearance Sportsman Warehouse

Old 07-26-2015, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by johnnyo
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I could not get the 270's to shoot accurataly in the Extreme. I think they load to loose. I'm using the green sabots packaged by Hornady. I ran into the same problem, after checking my notes, when I shot them in my Triumph. I could not get them to shoot with BH209. I could only get good accuracy with 2F Blackpowder (85gr).
Your 270s are 44-cal?
These 250s are 45-cal .452 and judging by looks, may need my Harvester crush rib sabots. My 230 gr. Gold Dots in 45-cal are .451s and load with little resistance using MMP's standard black sabot.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 07-26-2015 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm using the green sabots packaged by Hornady.
Those should be the correct sabots but occasionally companies use a different dye color. The MMP 50/44 green sabot is the largest OD sabot for 44cal bullets IIRC.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Yes the 270's are .44's.

Gets expensive for me to track down different sabots (shipping). I have ordered from Precision Rifle before for 40/50 sabots. They carry MMP.

I just thought I would try them out in the Extreme, thinking they would be a good bullet for my up coming Caribou hunt.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I would go a little bigger and tougher "bulk" bullet for hunting Caribou. The 300 or 350 gr. XTP Mag would be a better choice. I plan on using my 250s on deer-only.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
Personally, I would go a little bigger and tougher "bulk" bullet for hunting Caribou. The 300 or 350 gr. XTP Mag would be a better choice. I plan on using my 250s on deer-only.
If it's a good choice on Whitetail then it will be fine for a Caribou. Not THAT much difference in size and bone strength and structure between the 2. Average live weight of a Bou Bull is between 350-400 pounds and a lot of that is gut weight. What you want to consider on bullet choice for Caribou is distance. Depending on when and where you are going, you may have some longer range shots. So you will want a bullet that will perform at lower velocities at impact.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Caribou are larger, but not as tough as Whitetail. I'll be going mid September, targeting the migration, to Northern Quebec. My last hunt in 2012, I took animals at 80 and 20 yards, this was with my 30-06 and the animals were scarce. We never did see the main migration.

I shot some 350 gr FPB's last night. They shot very well with 90 gr of BH209 and i can get them locally.

I could try Barnes TEZ's, either 250 or 300gr, just need to get my hands on them. I know the 250's shoot well out of my Triumph with the supplied sabots, if they don't work in the Extreme.

I do have some Bloodlines, but they are really difficult to get. I should stop being so cheap and use them.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Caribou are larger, but not as tough as Whitetail. I'll be going mid September, targeting the migration, to Northern Quebec. My last hunt in 2012, I took animals at 80 and 20 yards, this was with my 30-06 and the animals were scarce. We never did see the main migration.

I shot some 350 gr FPB's last night. They shot very well with 90 gr of BH209 and i can get them locally.

I could try Barnes TEZ's, either 250 or 300gr, just need to get my hands on them. I know the 250's shoot well out of my Triumph with the supplied sabots, if they don't work in the Extreme.

I do have some Bloodlines, but they are really difficult to get. I should stop being so cheap and use them.
Use the Bloodline if you can - Lehigh is in the process of building a new CF bullet and they will be readily available with a flat rate $5 shipping fee for any order.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Use the Bloodline if you can - Lehigh is in the process of building a new CF bullet and they will be readily available with a flat rate $5 shipping fee for any order.
But do they ship to Canada!
Old 07-26-2015, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

But do they ship to Canada!
Well shoot I forgot about that part....

sent you a couple of PM's
Old 08-06-2015, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

reviews at Midway on the 250 gr. Speer Deep Curl...

By William
from SEVERN, MD

I've been using this bullet for 5+ years in my Rem700 54cal muzzleloader. I'm pushing 2000fps with this bullet and it will stop a whitetail in his tracks. I've killed 5 or 6 using this bullet on top of two 60g pyrodex pellets. At that speed the bullet does break apart, but I've found that it does so in a controlled manor. You get a nice 45cal entry and exit hole, but on the inside of the ribcage, on the exit hole side, there are always 6 smaller holes. These are caused by the "petals" of the hollow point breaking off. The pieces have enough energy to break ribs and penetrate the ribcage but get lodged under the skin. This is a great bullet, even when used at higher velocities. And accuracy is great, 1.5-2" groups at 100yards.

--------------------------------------

By Pesti
from Cojon, FL

I use these with MMP sabots in my Knight Disc Elite muzzleloader and they consistently group 1" or better at 100 yards. I've also taken 10 deer with this bullet/sabot combination and the results on game are devastating. These bullets will literally rip a 2-3" diameter wound channel through any deer-sized game and to date, I have never had to track a single animal. All shots have also been complete pass-throughs and they leave baseball sized exit wounds. I would also imagine that they stay together because even though I've never recovered one, I've never found any copper or metal in any of the animals upon field dressing.

===================

I followed-suit with the review above and dressed the 250s in MMP sabots last night, prior to tubing them for range use. But instead of using the MMP Standard Black I had, I found some MMP 3-petal EZload Black in another shoe box. Will try those first.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 08-06-2015 at 05:33 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.