Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
250 gr. Gold Dots clearance Sportsman Warehouse >

250 gr. Gold Dots clearance Sportsman Warehouse

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

250 gr. Gold Dots clearance Sportsman Warehouse

Old 07-15-2015, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
I shot mine into what amounts to a torture test and a fairly close range. IIRC Lee9 has actually used them on deer and seems happy with the performance.

If you prefer a 80gr load, you will likely be happy with them if you keep shots in the vitals.
Ya I really tried tearing them up myself with a torture test did not get far.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, now we've reached the mixed results stage, much like the XTPs and Shockwaves.

I'll give the Gold Dots my tree trunk test this fall...... see if it comes apart / disintegrates like our 180 and 200 gr. XTPs did last fall. I'll test the Gold Dot 230s and 250s this fall.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 07-15-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
WVHunter
Why did you label it as a Speer Deep Curl?

OMG.... after looking at both posts with pics, ..... maybe I made a range-only investment then. That sux!

I also have about 90 Gold Dot 230 grain bullets that must be several years old. Are those as bad as the 250s and 180s?
T7, by no means am I trying to say they aren't a good bullet...don't get me wrong. Just that in my testing they failed miserably as you can see. They were shot into damp sand, which granted - like every other media is not a live game animal. BUT... apples to apples, they were the only bullets that exploded and completely failed. I have not shot the 230's ever, I have no clue on them.

The 250 and 180 have a deep hollow point, the 240 and 300 have a shallower hollow point. Thus each "style" seemed to dictate how it performed.

I know there are members here that like the 250's and have had luck with them... like I said, I really can't explain why that style did what it did.

Just for comparison, here is the 240 in the exact same test. I went to them as my goto bullet after that, and they have performed extremely well in the field also on several deer over the past few years.

Sabotloader, you and I have discussed these many times... your pics show a different result, granted it was a different media also. You can actually see the hollow point design difference in your pics, which is cool....fwiw.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only thing I tested them on was 8 deer, none of them went over two steps all were between 25 and 50 yards all in both guns I used were loaded with 110 grains of Blackhorn all were shot while standing from a tree stand shot in the rib cage just behind the foreleg and all exited the other side. The deer were both sex and ranged from a 1year old to a 9 point buck.
It works for me, When hunting in a tree stand.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

At 33 cents apiece, I'm not going to lose a ton of money, should my tree tests at 50 and 100 yards fail to produce the results I'm seeking...... that being bullet internals that do not fragment-disappear from the Michigan pine tree on impact, leaving an bare-spot imprint-only and nothing on the ground in front of that tree. This is the only test I've ever done on ML bullets, outside of animal harvests. It's also why I've never given up on keeping lead bullets in my arsenal.

What I'm really looking forward to - is finding results from my recently purchased copper Barnes XPBs on impact. I suspect I will at least recover some core of that bullet. I have no idea on what I will encounter, for I have never fired a ML copper bullet in my life.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Is the 270 gr sp version the same construction as the 240 gr. Also is it designed for higher velocities?

I've got about 70 of these and I'm considering working up a load for them in my Disc Extreme.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by johnnyo
Is the 270 gr sp version the same construction as the 240 gr. Also is it designed for higher velocities?

I've got about 70 of these and I'm considering working up a load for them in my Disc Extreme.
I don't know for sure. You might check with RonLaughlin, pretty sure he's used the 270's for hunting, iirc.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup, a lot of deer ended up in our freezer, after they were shot with the 270g Deep Curl. The load used, was usually 105g Blackhorn.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

IIRC the 270gr is made to handle 444 Marlin loads so it should be right at home at ML speeds.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 270 Deep Curl Capture

Was able to find this old 270 Deep Curl thread posted after Lady, and i kinda successfully caught our first bullet. Back then they were called Gold Dot, but nowaday they are called 'impossible to find'/Deep Curl.

These days a bullet called Gold Dot are intended for self defense, and one can find them, and purchase them. Gold Dot are what i load for the 45 acp, and performance is wonderful. They are easy to find, and purchase.

Deep Curl are intended for hunting, and are virtually impossible to find to purchase. Last week i purchased the last box of 240g Deep Curl soft point that Powder Valley had.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.