Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barnes TEZ--Jugs

Old 07-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
The Encore platform rifles I used to shoot, shot them excellent with the supplied sabots. Never had to change from the supplied to any other sabot. I sold my last Pro Hunter last year and I'm beginning to wonder why....

I'm shooting an Ultimate Firearms Inc. BP Xpress and 180grs of propellant. (DON'T DO THAT WITH PRODUCTION RIFLES). I've shot them with MMP and also just about every sabot Harvester makes and haven't yet been satisfied with their long range accuracy (300-400yds). BARNES... IS MY FAVORITE BULLET. I'm not through playing........
I have no clue why you would have sold it. I absolutely love my PH setup. If you saw my test on Cold Clean bore posting you will see that it's a pretty darn accurate barrel at 150 yards holding around 1.5" 5 shot group. Not bad for a gimp shooting wrong handed!

As far as me using my MMP sabots, I like the HP sabots since my barrel really likes a hot load. Kinda like the Old SR-71, leaks like a sieve till you get the pressure up then she tightens up and ZOOM! So USUALLY supplied sabots don't seem to perform that well. For me anyway.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The TEZ is my current favorite bullet for Eastern Whitetails. Every deer I have shot with this bullet has either dropped on the spot or not made it very far at all. I have been completely pleased with them so far.

The only complaint I have is that I'm forced to buy the sabot that comes with it and I'm not a fan.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

TNHagies, you can go here and get bags of sabots that you may like better http://mmpsabots.com/

You can also go to Harvester for Crush Rib. https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.c...chk=1&Itemid=3 which are also good sabots. I use one or the other for all my sabot needs.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I have no clue why you would have sold it. I absolutely love my PH setup. If you saw my test on Cold Clean bore posting you will see that it's a pretty darn accurate barrel at 150 yards holding around 1.5" 5 shot group. Not bad for a gimp shooting wrong handed!

As far as me using my MMP sabots, I like the HP sabots since my barrel really likes a hot load. Kinda like the Old SR-71, leaks like a sieve till you get the pressure up then she tightens up and ZOOM! So USUALLY supplied sabots don't seem to perform that well. For me anyway.
The reason I sold it was that I'd had enough of production rifles. That may not sound right, but there just wasn't anything more I could do with them. How many single hole groups can you shoot at 100yds and be happy about it.... I completely modified those frames and had 2# triggers in all them. My preferred load was a 250gr TMZ and 75grs by WEIGHT of BH. Many 3/4" groups at 200yds. The guy that bought my Pro Hunter, paid a hefty price for it, which turned out well for me
Old 07-06-2015, 05:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't put too much value in this test unless you're hunting for water jugs. They do fine on game.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL yeah them Water jugs are tough to hunt! They are so still and silent! It's like they NEVER move!
Old 07-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
TNHagies, you can go here and get bags of sabots that you may like better http://mmpsabots.com/

You can also go to Harvester for Crush Rib. https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.c...chk=1&Itemid=3 which are also good sabots. I use one or the other for all my sabot needs.
MMPs don't shoot well for me in this humid south. I have a significant stock of Harvesters but that's not really the point. My point is that I don't like being forced into buying a sabot/bullet combo that I'm not going to use. I'd rather just buy the bullets in bulk.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TNHagies
MMPs don't shoot well for me in this humid south. I have a significant stock of Harvesters but that's not really the point. My point is that I don't like being forced into buying a sabot/bullet combo that I'm not going to use. I'd rather just buy the bullets in bulk.

http://www.smokelessmz.com/bullets.html
Old 07-06-2015, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Buy bulk, I don't buy the packaged ones anymore, I too use Harvester sabots. I just got a 100 of the TEZs a few weeks ago.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Thanks for the link. They are a bit higher there than what I can get locally (with the sabot) but I'm glad someone is offering them in bulk.