HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   first time in years I have been excited about hunting season. (is it too soon) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/399810-first-time-years-i-have-been-excited-about-hunting-season-too-soon.html)

corey012778 06-15-2015 03:07 PM

first time in years I have been excited about hunting season. (is it too soon)

planning on using mainly muzzleloaders, only one cf and it is going to get a make over soon.

these camping/hunting spot, I may have been scouting an bedding/ a deer highway (big game highway to the last set of pic)

these one camera had over 110 game pics. only going to share 3

nighty night lol

had a member of my group tell me I would not see anything in that thick stuff. not going to touch it. early archery and muzzleloader is going to be a pain. rifle and late archery and muzzleloader may not be too bad to see.

no place for a tree stand, could do a platform stand but they are pricey and my best friend and first time hunter wants to go in with me.

WV Hunter 06-15-2015 04:16 PM

Its never too early! I try to think about it all year long, helps me maintain my sanity!

Just keep in mind...most of the green stuff will be gone by Nov. Even the thicker areas will be more open than you think. Personally, I'd rather hunt the thick stuff anyhow...that's where they are... :D

Nice bear!

corey012778 06-15-2015 04:45 PM

what I am thinking too,

when I started in the area it was open.that just grew in two weeks.

TNHagies 06-16-2015 04:17 AM

corey, you may want to consider a ground blind. In that thick stuff it would be easy to brush it in and conceal it. The older I get, the more and more I enjoy hunting out of blinds.

super_hunt54 06-16-2015 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by TNHagies (Post 4202591)
corey, you may want to consider a ground blind. In that thick stuff it would be easy to brush it in and conceal it. The older I get, the more and more I enjoy hunting out of blinds.

Son you aint just whistling Dixie there!

corey012778 06-16-2015 11:29 AM

I was planning to have a blind, there is a dying pine not far from where the cam was set up. figure I will trim out the dead limbs and use them as part of my blind. have afew other ideas for blinds in that spot. next set up of cams i am going to set close to the nf entrances see if i can see where they are moving from,

Triple Se7en 06-16-2015 12:57 PM

Just keep in-mind that once the area's food supply chain starts to become plentiful, where the deer are moving now, will change in late summer.

Semisane 06-16-2015 04:32 PM

Corey, here's a ground blind that works great for me and is dirt cheap (i.e. free).

When someone in your neighborhood replaces a board fence, grab the old fence boards and build one of these. Do it well before the season and let natural brush/vines grow around the outside.

corey012778 06-16-2015 05:32 PM

semi, did you cut a rocking chair down. we have a lot of boards around the property from where the built the cabin. knowing one of my friends they would over thinking it.

I am going to keep one camera at these spot the whole time. have 2 others that will be put in other area to see if there are other spots. going to make an homemade feeder, thinking an 6in pipe one 90 front cut to drop feed. just strap the sucker to a tree

first time I seen a bear in over 300 pics so hoping that was just a passer by, most likely not something keeps getting in to our burn barrel. guess next time up there, I should set a camera close to that to see what is doing it.

Semisane 06-16-2015 05:39 PM

semi, did you cut a rocking chair down
No, I just knocked the rockers off.

It looks low because the legs are sunk in the ground a bit. It kept sinking over time so I ended up putting a paving stone under each leg to stop it from sinking.