Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
first time in years I have been excited about hunting season. (is it too soon) >

first time in years I have been excited about hunting season. (is it too soon)

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

first time in years I have been excited about hunting season. (is it too soon)

Old 06-15-2015, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default first time in years I have been excited about hunting season. (is it too soon)

planning on using mainly muzzleloaders, only one cf and it is going to get a make over soon.

these camping/hunting spot, I may have been scouting an bedding/ a deer highway (big game highway to the last set of pic)

these one camera had over 110 game pics. only going to share 3

nighty night lol

had a member of my group tell me I would not see anything in that thick stuff. not going to touch it. early archery and muzzleloader is going to be a pain. rifle and late archery and muzzleloader may not be too bad to see.

no place for a tree stand, could do a platform stand but they are pricey and my best friend and first time hunter wants to go in with me.

Last edited by corey012778; 06-15-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its never too early! I try to think about it all year long, helps me maintain my sanity!

Just keep in mind...most of the green stuff will be gone by Nov. Even the thicker areas will be more open than you think. Personally, I'd rather hunt the thick stuff anyhow...that's where they are...

Nice bear!
Old 06-15-2015, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

what I am thinking too,

when I started in the area it was open.that just grew in two weeks.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

corey, you may want to consider a ground blind. In that thick stuff it would be easy to brush it in and conceal it. The older I get, the more and more I enjoy hunting out of blinds.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TNHagies
corey, you may want to consider a ground blind. In that thick stuff it would be easy to brush it in and conceal it. The older I get, the more and more I enjoy hunting out of blinds.
Son you aint just whistling Dixie there!
Old 06-16-2015, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was planning to have a blind, there is a dying pine not far from where the cam was set up. figure I will trim out the dead limbs and use them as part of my blind. have afew other ideas for blinds in that spot. next set up of cams i am going to set close to the nf entrances see if i can see where they are moving from,
Old 06-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just keep in-mind that once the area's food supply chain starts to become plentiful, where the deer are moving now, will change in late summer.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Corey, here's a ground blind that works great for me and is dirt cheap (i.e. free).

When someone in your neighborhood replaces a board fence, grab the old fence boards and build one of these. Do it well before the season and let natural brush/vines grow around the outside.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

semi, did you cut a rocking chair down. we have a lot of boards around the property from where the built the cabin. knowing one of my friends they would over thinking it.

I am going to keep one camera at these spot the whole time. have 2 others that will be put in other area to see if there are other spots. going to make an homemade feeder, thinking an 6in pipe one 90 front cut to drop feed. just strap the sucker to a tree

first time I seen a bear in over 300 pics so hoping that was just a passer by, most likely not something keeps getting in to our burn barrel. guess next time up there, I should set a camera close to that to see what is doing it.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

semi, did you cut a rocking chair down
No, I just knocked the rockers off.

It looks low because the legs are sunk in the ground a bit. It kept sinking over time so I ended up putting a paving stone under each leg to stop it from sinking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.