Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The perfect gun

Old 06-11-2015, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a 700ml in the safe, a .54 stainless in excellent almost NIB condition, which I may convert at some point to a Brux .45
While the Brux 45 will be a joy to shoot, you should at least consider the Hunter smoker kit for the 54cal. It would make an absolute hammer with BH209, MMP54x50 sabots and the 385gr Rem CLHP. It would easily equal a 50Beowulf in fps with the same bullet.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

This one:
Old 06-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Tie for me x7 and white thunderbolt, they are the perfect guns

Last edited by sbuff; 06-12-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
While the Brux 45 will be a joy to shoot, you should at least consider the Hunter smoker kit for the 54cal. It would make an absolute hammer with BH209, MMP54x50 sabots and the 385gr Rem CLHP. It would easily equal a 50Beowulf in fps with the same bullet.
Would the factory barrel handle 110grs BH with a bullet that heavy? This 700ml .54 is really a nice rifle and in pristine condition. I've had the scope down the barrel and I'm wondering if its even been fired.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't see why not. Pressure should be close to 26Kpsi with that load. You could always try a 54x45 Harvester and a Barnes 300gr SOCOM bullet....My 54-120 loves that combo with 110-120gr of BH209. There are LOTs of good 50cal bullets available if you just want to stick to 54x50s.

If im not mistaken Hunter offers a smoker kit that will upgrade to the SML barrel style plug.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Well BPS, I never even mentioned Crossbows I was talking about the "non traditional" Compound but since you brought them up, the crossbow is every bit as difficult to take deer with as a compound. It is to me anyway. You still need to get into relatively the same shot range. You should still practice with it diligently. In some ways, it is even MORE difficult than compound. Re-loading one is a pain in the rear. ESPECIALLY in a tree stand. They are a pain in the rear carrying in thick brush. And I have YET to ever hear a QUIET crossbow. You should feel just as proud of a deer taken with a crossbow as you would your old compound. Just like I feel proud taking a deer with my Inline. They are the same animal as a side lock percussion with just a little faster lock time and fire time. Putting anyone down or trying to make them feel "lesser" for using a modern muzzle loader is wrong at it's base. You yourself use a modern muzzle loader when you break out your old Hawken. The steel in the barrel is better, the spring in the lock is better. The trigger is better. It's all modern, just masked to LOOK traditional. You still have to load it up from the business end one shot at a time.
sh54...

I agree. You didn't mention crossbows, I did, and I did so because you asked if I bowhunt. It also happens to be the only thing I currently own that I can do that with. I also stated the reasons why.

I disagree. The crossbow is not as difficult to take a deer with as a compound, PERIOD. Why do states allow those with handicaps to use a crossbow to bowhunt? Because they're easier to use. Many models have cocking devices /aids that allow for much easier cocking even by those who may not be physically strong enough to do so with a rope style cocker. And, once cocked and loaded it's just a matter of aiming and shooting like a firearm. Anyone who's bowhunted any length of time has sooner or later been faced with the following scenario... The deer you intend to take begins to step out into your shooting lane so you come to full draw and the deer suddenly stops before it's open enough for a clear shot and just hangs up there. How long do you think you can hold a bow at full draw and wait vs waiting with a cocked and loaded crossbow??? I think you get the picture.

I agree. Crossbows are slower to reload and although I've never tried to cock mine in a tree stand, I'm sure it could be done. Most crossbows are on the noisy side compared to a compound, but most are so darn blazing fast that I doubt there's a deer that could "jump the string" unless the shooter was shooting a long distance. Further, anything short of a handgun can be a pain to carry in thick brush.

I disagree. While one should still practice with their crossbow, the practice is no where near as demanding as is required for a compound where shooting form is a major factor. I practice with my crossbow and because I bowhunted and shot 3D with a compound for many years I say this through the voice of experience. My cousin stopped by one afternoon while I was shooting my crossbow so I let him try it. After just a couple of shots he was plugging the bull every time at 35 yds. with it and he's never bowhunted or shot a bow in his life.

I never said I wasn't "proud" if you will, of any deer I've taken with a crossbow. I said the adrenalin rush is not the same as taking one with a hand drawn bow. It's all about the challenge, the more difficult it becomes, the more one feels "proud" i.e., the sense of accomplishment is more profound. There are groups currently lobbying the state for a special season which allows the use of an Atlatl (spear) because they feel that's the ultimate challenge.

As far as using a MODERN muzzleloader... when I stated that I preferred to use traditional ML's vs inline I did not say "antique" ML's vs inline. You know full well I was referring to the style of muzzy being used, not when it was made or the process and materials it was made from. If that were the case then 99.999987% can say we hunt with a MODERN muzzleloader.

I think you took my original reply to you completely out of context. I never put anyone down as you stated. I merely asked where the cutoff point is when one no longer feels like they're hunting with a muzzleloader? How far does the firearm or weapon have to progress technologically before the user personally begins to feel differently about using it?... Is it when you're able to take a mortar launcher afield and take out a deer at a great distance and then say to yourself, "Well I know I load it through the muzzle but it just doesn't feel like I'm hunting with a muzzleloader".

Lastly, getting back to the threads title... I guess the perfect gun is whichever one puts a big smile on your face when you squeeze the trigger!!

BPS
Old 06-23-2015, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
A custom built Hawken, but I can't afford one, so it's a dream.

I tried to get one today, but the bid went too high.

This is the one I tried to get.

Thank goodness you didn't get this one. The hammer is on the wrong side!!!
Old 06-23-2015, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm thinking Pete is a lefty rafsob.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I'm thinking Pete is a lefty rafsob.
Kind of forced on me when I lost sight in my right eye. Now it feels pretty natural to shoot left handed.

Amazing what shouldering a gun a few thousands times can do for getting used to the wrong side.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Kind of forced on me when I lost sight in my right eye. Now it feels pretty natural to shoot left handed.

Amazing what shouldering a gun a few thousands times can do for getting used to the wrong side.
I'm left eye dominant which is why I shoot handgun lefty for both eyes open. Rifle and Archery I close the left eye so I can use my dominant hand. I can shoot rifle either hand but Archery I just can't get it right. Tried for a while but just couldn't get that "wrong" feeling to go away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.