Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The perfect gun

Old 06-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always wanted a CVA Mountain Rifle in 58 caliber.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Semisane
I tried, no one will bore that 15/16" barrel to .58.
I've had 4 of them, and didn't realize they were that size. Makes you wonder why they weigh so much? A CVA Mountain Rifle with a 32" barrel is 7.8lbs. The GPR is 9 1/4lbs. WTH?
Old 06-10-2015, 04:52 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I've had 4 of them, and didn't realize they were that size. Makes you wonder why they weigh so much? A CVA Mountain Rifle with a 32" barrel is 7.8lbs. The GPR is 9 1/4lbs. WTH?
The additional weight over the CVA is quality . 1.45 pounds of quality spread throughout the whole gun .

Old 06-10-2015, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Because a GPR has gravitas.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:54 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Semisane
Because a GPR has gravitas.
and big ones at that

Old 06-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow! Now that's a neat word!
Old 06-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
The additional weight over the CVA is quality . 1.45 pounds of quality spread throughout the whole gun .
Bull! The early CVA Mountain Rifle made in the USA with a Douglas barrel is a good solid gun. Every bit as good as the Italian GPR. Maybe better.

Heavy doesn't make it a better gun. It just makes it heavy.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
What would you consider as the perfect gun for you ?
I'm completely satisfied with my Ultimate Firearms Inc. rifle.

Worked myself up from a Huntsman, numerous T/C Hawken rifles, one CVA, Knights and then T/C Encore platform rifles.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
I'm completely satisfied with my Ultimate Firearms Inc. rifle.

Worked myself up from a Huntsman, numerous T/C Hawken rifles, one CVA, Knights and then T/C Encore platform rifles.
I see you're gradually progressing upward in technology, a few more years and you'll come full circle and start using a center fire rifle again.

As for myself... I prefer to stay traditional. There's just much more satisfaction in taking a deer with a traditional firearm, whether it's a sidelock percussion or flintlock... I know you modern ML fellas have your thing and that's fine... but, where's the cutoff point? Where do you reach a point where you no longer feel like you're hunting with a muzzleloader?

BPS
Old 06-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Powder, As long as I have to stuff my load in from the business end, it's muzzleloading! You are following the same logic that a very few archers use against compound bows. You bowhunt? You use a compound? Think it's going to far? Just how far is too far? Rifled barrels? That's not "traditional". Percussion caps? That's not "traditional". If you want to get real technical, anything other than throwing rocks isn't "traditional".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.