HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Open sights range? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/399698-open-sights-range.html)

Pharris218 06-08-2015 11:43 AM

Open sights range?

I currently have a cva optima with a tasco scope and I was wondering about switching to open sights and was wondering if it will be good for my range (25-75yds) and will I still be able to group decent ??

Muley Hunter 06-08-2015 11:58 AM

Nobody can really answer that but you. We don't know what shooting skills you have, or how good your eyesight is.

Some guys can shoot small groups at hundreds of yds with open sights. Others can hit the side of a barn at 50yds.

super_hunt54 06-08-2015 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4201543)
Nobody can really answer that but you. We don't know what shooting skills you have, or how good your eyesight is.

Some guys can shoot small groups at hundreds of yds with open sights. Others can hit the side of a barn at 50yds.

Pretty much nailed that answer. I used to be able to shoot the "fun parts" of a gnat at 100 yards open site. Now with my eyesight getting rough close up, the sights are blurry and all that fun stuff. I have to put "devils glass" on pretty much everything I shoot past 50 yards nowadays. Even my Bow sites have mag glass!

Muley Hunter 06-08-2015 12:23 PM

All you can do is take off the scope, and try it. If you don't like it, it's easy enough to put the scope back on.

Triple Se7en 06-08-2015 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pharris218 (Post 4201537)
I currently have a cva optima with a tasco scope and I was wondering about switching to open sights and was wondering if it will be good for my range (25-75yds) and will I still be able to group decent ??

I use open fiber-optic sights on my Knight Vision - am 63 years-old and wear bi-focal lenses. Am planning on testing 150 yards with these old-man eyes this fall.

My combination of open sights and off-hand shooting has produced 4-5" groups at 100 yards., which I feel is darn good for me. Hoping to stay within 8" groups at 150, which is the DNR-prescribed kill zone on Michigan Whitetails.

If I fail in my 150 yard testing this fall, I won;t shoot that far this winter. But no matter what, I'm keeping the scope off that Knight Vision and will sometimes use it as a swamp & brush gun. I purposely purchased the basic black synthetic stock, knowing that gun will see some scratches this season.

The good news is I only paid $199 for this break-action ML, via a Knight website Christmas Sale.

ronlaughlin 06-08-2015 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pharris218 (Post 4201537)

Yes you will. Me, i think i could kill deer just fine at 75 yard, even with my old eyes. To read, i use + 3.00 magnifiers. However, let me make it clear, i am so happy we can now use a 1X scope on our muzzle loaders. Four inch group is what you are striving for.

super_hunt54 06-08-2015 04:32 PM

Ron, how in the heck do you see your sights? That's the reason I had to stop using opens. My close in vision is shot to heck. My distance vision is about as good as it ever was but if I try to read anything closer than 3 feet from me Imma scwued!

Muley Hunter 06-08-2015 04:48 PM

I don't know about Ron, but my vision is blurry at all distances. I've gotten used to shooting with blurry sights and target.

If you don't tell yourself...I can't shoot! The sights are blurry. You'd be surprised how well you can shoot at closer ranges. Up to 60-70 yds I can keep it in the kill zone. So, I use that as my max distance, but try to get much closer.

The good part about shooting so close is you can use mild loads. Which works for me.

Sort of an old man system. Open sights, close shots, and mild loads.

Semisane 06-08-2015 04:50 PM

Tired old eyes like peeps. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/190...aluminum-black

super_hunt54 06-08-2015 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4201618)
I don't know about Ron, but my vision is blurry at all distances. I've gotten used to shooting with blurry sights and target.

If you don't tell yourself...I can't shoot! The sights are blurry. You'd be surprised how well you can shoot at closer ranges. Up to 60-70 yds I can keep it in the kill zone. So, I use that as my max distance, but try to get much closer.

The good part about shooting so close is you can use mild loads. Which works for me.

Sort of an old man system. Open sights, close shots, and mild loads.

I tried that and can shoot fairly "instinctive" to about 50 yards which is what I do with handgun but they are just so blurry on a rifle or ML'er (especially the rear) and I've always been an extremist when it comes to the perfection of my shooting that I just can't get over it. Glasses that help my close up vision destroys my distance vision. So, devils glass it has to be I guess!