Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Open sights range? >

Open sights range?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Open sights range?

Old 06-11-2015, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL, Wasn't taking it personal buddy. Just explaining my own personal ways. I too have been known to be a "bit" stubborn. My wife would tell you that I could out stubborn the jackass that sired me
Old 06-11-2015, 08:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, you all have your own opinions. They're wrong of course, unless they agree with mine.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've decided to go ahead, and get the Triumph Bone Collector It's a light gun at 6.5lbs without a scope. Easy to carry, and shoulder. My hopes are the Sims recoil pad, and flex-tech stock will tame the recoil enough for me.

I then remembered a peep sight I had on my last Triumph. It made by a guy with a machine shop in his garage. It's small and compact, and built like a tank. It has a dovetail for elevation and windage with allen set screws to lock them in. Way better than that cheap Williams compact peep sight. I'm not sure why, but this guy only makes the sight for the Triumph. It's only $59, and works with the stock front FO sight. The Williams sight doesn't.

Anyway, here it is. Bolt it on, and my sights are done.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I've decided to go ahead, and get the Triumph Bone Collector It's a light gun at 6.5lbs without a scope. Easy to carry, and shoulder. My hopes are the Sims recoil pad, and flex-tech stock will tame the recoil enough for me.

I then remembered a peep sight I had on my last Triumph. It made by a guy with a machine shop in his garage. It's small and compact, and built like a tank. It has a dovetail for elevation and windage with allen set screws to lock them in. Way better than that cheap Williams compact peep sight. I'm not sure why, but this guy only makes the sight for the Triumph. It's only $59, and works with the stock front FO sight. The Williams sight doesn't.

Anyway, here it is. Bolt it on, and my sights are done.

Muley, don't mean to rain on your parade, but have you shouldered the Triumph with a mind towards using a peep sight? Back when I was shopping for my first ML I fully intended on using open sights and crossed the Triumph off my list of possible candidates. The supplied open sights were OK since the rear sight is halfway up the barrel but I could not get my head down low enough to sight through a peep (mounted just above the breech) on that rifle. I heard somewhere (possibly here) that the Triumph's stock was designed such that it would primarily be a scoped rifle. YMMV.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had bought a Triumph from Mike, and put the above peep on it. It worked fine for me. I have a thin face I guess, and can even get open sights to work on an Accura MR, and that stock is much higher than the Triumph. I should be ok.

My problem is with scopes. Guns with stocks made for scopes are still to low for me.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow! I just ordered that peep sight, and I just got an email from the guy saying he just mailed it with a tracking number.

Now, that's service. He must live next to the post office.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Purdy quick I'll say!
Old 06-11-2015, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hubby11
Muley, don't mean to rain on your parade, but have you shouldered the Triumph with a mind towards using a peep sight? Back when I was shopping for my first ML I fully intended on using open sights and crossed the Triumph off my list of possible candidates. The supplied open sights were OK since the rear sight is halfway up the barrel but I could not get my head down low enough to sight through a peep (mounted just above the breech) on that rifle. I heard somewhere (possibly here) that the Triumph's stock was designed such that it would primarily be a scoped rifle. YMMV.
The bone collector seems to have a lower comb.

Me, i also planned to purchase a Triumph, and also was required to use iron sights. When i tried to sight the rifle in the store, i couldn't, because i couldn't get low enough. The Triumph stock has a comb that is just too high for me. It was verified just this morning when i shouldered a used Triumph.

However, when the Bone Collector first was in the store, i shouldered one, and discovered that the comb seemed lower than the Triumph, and i could readily get down to see the iron sights.

Hopefully the comb on the Bone Collector won't be too low for Muley.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Better too low than too high. I can always use a chin weld if it's too low. To high, and it really bangs my cheek from being down too hard on the comb.

My fingers are crossed.

As a last resort I can shim up the sights.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always heard something that I try to remember. "Aim small, miss small" In other words, pick a hair. It is harder to do as your sight goes, but you and imagine you see that hair! Its all mental anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.