Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Information For Using Sabots In Rifle Season In Colorado >

New Information For Using Sabots In Rifle Season In Colorado

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Information For Using Sabots In Rifle Season In Colorado

Old 06-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was responding to this Mike.

"You can get the XP in ,452 and .458 for rifle season deer and elk???"

Yes, that full bore .500 can be used anytime for any game.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good news everybody. I just got this email from Bob. He made a mistake, and 50cal sabots are legal for elk in rifle season after all. Sorry for the confusion, but i'm just the messenger.

Life is good again.

Here's the email.

Pete,

I wanted to circle back with you as I gave out some wrong information on saboted bullets for muzzleloaders that are used during the rifle and other associated methods seasons in Colorado. The sentence that is wrong is "Please note that this bullet would not be legal for elk or moose hunting during the rifle and other associated methods seasons as it does not meet the caliber requirements (.458 v. .50)".

The regulation that I misquoted pertains to the caliber of the muzzleloader and not the caliber of the bullet. The only requirement for the bullet would be the minimum grains of weight as spelled out in our regulations. I apologize for the incorrect information.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Thanks!
Bob Thompson
Lead Wildlife Investigator
Colorado Parks and Wildlife
6060 Broadway, Denver, CO 80216
(303) 291-7342
[email protected]
Old 06-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Good news everybody. I just got this email from Bob. He made a mistake, and 50cal sabots are legal for elk in rifle season after all. Sorry for the confusion, but i'm just the messenger.

Life is good again.

Here's the email.

Pete,

I wanted to circle back with you as I gave out some wrong information on saboted bullets for muzzleloaders that are used during the rifle and other associated methods seasons in Colorado. The sentence that is wrong is "Please note that this bullet would not be legal for elk or moose hunting during the rifle and other associated methods seasons as it does not meet the caliber requirements (.458 v. .50)".

The regulation that I misquoted pertains to the caliber of the muzzleloader and not the caliber of the bullet. The only requirement for the bullet would be the minimum grains of weight as spelled out in our regulations. I apologize for the incorrect information.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Thanks!
Bob Thompson
Lead Wildlife Investigator
Colorado Parks and Wildlife
6060 Broadway, Denver, CO 80216
(303) 291-7342
[email protected]
Your Welcome
Old 06-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Makes you wonder when you ask a question if you're getting the right answer huh?

Well, at least we know the XP is legal now. Unless he's wrong about that too? Cripes!!
Old 06-08-2015, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, at least we know the XP is legal now. Unless he's wrong about that too? Cripes!!
No, it isn't legal in Rifle season.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

You mean today it isn't legal. Yesterday it was. Tomorrow?
Old 06-08-2015, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

You mean today it isn't legal. Yesterday it was. Tomorrow?
Read the book, page 16 I think
Old 06-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know the book. I've been reading it longer than you.

I'm sick and tired of them giving me the wrong information. I try and be helpful, and pass on the information, and because they have no clue what their doing I end up looking wrong.

I never asked about he sabots. I knew what that law was. I asked about the XP bullets. He was not only wrong about the sabots, but the XP bullets too.

It will be the last time I do this!

btw Nowhere in the brochure does it talk about using sabots in the rifle season. All it says is they aren't legal in the ML season.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 06-08-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know the book. I've been reading it longer than you.

I'm sick and tired of them giving me the wrong information. I try and be helpful, and pass on the information, and because they have no clue what their doing I end up looking wrong.

I never asked about he sabots. I knew what that law was. I asked about the XP bullets. He was not only wrong about the sabots, but the XP bullets too.

It will be the last time I do this!

btw Nowhere in the brochure does it talk about using sabots in the rifle season. All it says is they aren't legal in the ML season.
In rifle season it clearly spells out you must use a mushrooming bullet. To me it would not matter what gun or pistol or muzzleloader you were using. But, that's just the way I think.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I talked about that earlier, and explained why he thought they were legal. I guess he changed his mind about that too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.