Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Information For Using Sabots In Rifle Season In Colorado >

New Information For Using Sabots In Rifle Season In Colorado

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Information For Using Sabots In Rifle Season In Colorado

Old 06-06-2015, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

No wait and see for me. Given the opportunity, this bullet i would use for elk, without qualm.

That bullet was dug out of the dirt behind the target at 93 yard. Powder charge was 90g Blackhorn. That bullet held up nicely after impacting the solid ground.

The next photo show another, retrieved from the fourth jug in a bullet trap placed 12 yard away
. The bullet retrieved from the jug was sent on its way by a 65g charge of Blackhorn. and was only traveling about 1335 fps. It expanded, and penetrated nicely.

Me, i say this bullet deserves a chance to kill an elk.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Read this test.

http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com...water-jug-test
Old 06-06-2015, 06:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

Muley I have read a few reports on the bullet also and the first editions of ot did not pan out very well at all.

They then went into rebuilding it - but I have not heard a lot about it since.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Fed bullet is legal in Colorado. Someone else checked on it, and it brought it to the attention of the DOW. It's actually in the latest brochure that it's legal.

I'm hoping to do the same thing with the 50cal sabots for elk. At least I have them talking about it.

Nobody knows if the delay in production was changing the design, or from some other delay. I asked Federal about it, and they claimed the bullet wasn't changed. Who knows for sure though.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 06-06-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I already have a special license to use a scope in muzzy season. I've never used it, but I hunt the rifle seasons anyway, and everybody can use one then.

Bore size bullets are no problem. The question is what saboted bullet is at least .500?

I'm surprised this hasn't caught the eye of Grouse. I'm pretty sure he uses a 50 cal sabot for elk during rifle season.
Always confusion in Colorado with game laws.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

No kidding.

Maybe i'll just hunt for muley's. Everything is legal for them.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

No kidding.

Maybe i'll just hunt for muley's. Everything is legal for them.
LOL, that in itself makes is even stupider!
I wonder if these guys in charge ever put themselves in the avg hunters shoes?

I know many states have stupid laws, but I feel for ya muley. Oh, and given all the hoops you have guys to jump through, personally I would try that bullet Ron posted ... I bet it would do quite well.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

It may work perfect, but do I want to wound an elk because of a stupid law? I just don't have faith in that bullet yet. I'd love to be wrong.

I'd try to get a 300gr Thor to work before doing that. I know it will work.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muley,
I was told the information you posted is incorrect. LOL, Gotta love Colorado!!! Im only Talking Rifle Season ELK

You are aloud to use a 50cal ML with a saboted bullet. The bullet must weigh 210grns I believe or heavier. Like the guy said, if you had to use a full bore bullet how could you use a 50cal Inline with a sabot?? Its impossible....

But he did confirm you cannot use the XP bullets in Rifle season because they are non expanding.

Im glad this conversation came up because I would of tried the XP bullets on Elk not knowing about the expanding law.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Who did you talk to? Bob Thompson who wrote the email, and the one I talked to on the phone is suppose to be in charge of these questions.

That's why I didn't listen to whoever picks up the phone. I wanted to go to a more reliable source.

His phone number is in the email.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.