Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rained out

Old 06-03-2015, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by toytruck
I don't know why not? We can use smokeless, scoped, no restrictions on primers/bullets, etc. an now we can even use a ML handgun....
Could be that you couldn't use it because it is a DOUBLE barrel? Didn't look it up but your state may limit it to SINGLE barrel only during smoke pole season.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

only states that a muzzleloader has to be a single shot during muzzleloader season in va, wonder if you can use a double during firearms season.

nice gun there, I know the feeling about not being able to hit the range due to rain. got rained out twice so far.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Could be that you couldn't use it because it is a DOUBLE barrel? Didn't look it up but your state may limit it to SINGLE barrel only during smoke pole season.
I thought of that too, but nothing in the regs that I can find about two barrels. I don't believe it would be a problem, we can carry a centerfire handgun with CCW permit, during ML and archery seasons as well.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by toytruck
I thought of that too, but nothing in the regs that I can find about two barrels. I don't believe it would be a problem, we can carry a centerfire handgun with CCW permit, during ML and archery seasons as well.

Legal Methods and Restrictions During Muzzleloader Deer Seasons
Special restrictions apply to specific fire arms use during this season. See Legal Use of Firearms and Archery Equipment and Local Firearms Ordinances for details.

Only muzzleloading firearms, .45 caliber or larger, loaded from the muzzle of the gun.
Muzzleloading firearms must be single shot, capable of firing only a single bullet or saboted bullet (.38 caliber or larger).
Flintlock, percussion, or electronic ignitions are permitted.
Must use at least 50 grains of black powder or black powder equivalent.
Muzzleloading pistols which meet the four restrictions listed above are legal.
It is unlawful to have in immediate possession any firearm other than a muzzleloading firearm while hunting with a muzzleloader (see exception for valid concealed handgun permit holders).
Smokeless powder is allowed in muzzleloading firearms designed for it. Never use smokeless powder in a muzzleloading firearm that is not specifically designed for it.
Scopes are permitted.
For the purposes of transportation in a vehicle, muzzleloading firearms are considered "unloaded" when all powder has been removed from the flashpan, or the percussion cap, primer, or battery has been removed from the firearm.
It is unlawful to hunt deer with dogs, except that dogs may be used to track wounded or dead deer (see Hunting with Dogs)
It is lawful to carry archery tackle when and where there is an overlap with a deer archery and muzzleloading season.
Deer of either sex may be taken full season during the muzzleloading seasons within the incorporated limits of any city or town in the Commonwealth that allows deer hunting except in the counties of Buchanan, Dickenson, and Wise and only with the weapons (archery tackle and/or muzzleloaders) authorized by each individual city or town.
Muzzleloader deer hunters and persons accompanying a muzzleloader deer hunter shall wear blaze orange, except when physically located in a tree stand or other stationary hunting location.

Taken from Virginia State Regulations. Notice in Red SINGLE shot only. So yep it WOULD be a problem.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by corey012778
only states that a muzzleloader has to be a single shot during muzzleloader season in va, wonder if you can use a double during firearms season.

nice gun there, I know the feeling about not being able to hit the range due to rain. got rained out twice so far.
Yep Cory you could during open firearms.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Legal Methods and Restrictions During Muzzleloader Deer Seasons
Special restrictions apply to specific fire arms use during this season. See Legal Use of Firearms and Archery Equipment and Local Firearms Ordinances for details.

Only muzzleloading firearms, .45 caliber or larger, loaded from the muzzle of the gun.
Muzzleloading firearms must be single shot, capable of firing only a single bullet or saboted bullet (.38 caliber or larger).
Flintlock, percussion, or electronic ignitions are permitted.
Must use at least 50 grains of black powder or black powder equivalent.
Muzzleloading pistols which meet the four restrictions listed above are legal.
It is unlawful to have in immediate possession any firearm other than a muzzleloading firearm while hunting with a muzzleloader (see exception for valid concealed handgun permit holders).
Smokeless powder is allowed in muzzleloading firearms designed for it. Never use smokeless powder in a muzzleloading firearm that is not specifically designed for it.
Scopes are permitted.
For the purposes of transportation in a vehicle, muzzleloading firearms are considered "unloaded" when all powder has been removed from the flashpan, or the percussion cap, primer, or battery has been removed from the firearm.
It is unlawful to hunt deer with dogs, except that dogs may be used to track wounded or dead deer (see Hunting with Dogs)
It is lawful to carry archery tackle when and where there is an overlap with a deer archery and muzzleloading season.
Deer of either sex may be taken full season during the muzzleloading seasons within the incorporated limits of any city or town in the Commonwealth that allows deer hunting except in the counties of Buchanan, Dickenson, and Wise and only with the weapons (archery tackle and/or muzzleloaders) authorized by each individual city or town.
Muzzleloader deer hunters and persons accompanying a muzzleloader deer hunter shall wear blaze orange, except when physically located in a tree stand or other stationary hunting location.

Taken from Virginia State Regulations. Notice in Red SINGLE shot only. So yep it WOULD be a problem.
I called the local DGIF office an ask, they said what the red line stated above too. I don't own a double barrel so doesn't apply to me anyway. Interesting....