Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Old Load in Omega X7 >

Old Load in Omega X7

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old Load in Omega X7

Old 05-24-2015, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Old Load in Omega X7

I haven't shot the little Omega X7 in a long time.

In fact, I'd loaded it on a clean dry barrel at the beginning of the deer season sometime in November 2013, but didn't shoot it that year. So it's been sitting in the back of the closet with that load still in the barrel.

The plan was to shoot the old load out of the gun just to see how it did, then take the 4X ProDiamond scope off and install the Cabala's 3x10 Powderhorn scope.

Here's the two-year old load, shot at 100 yards with the Simmons scope.

Well, THAT would have done the job.

I then installed the Powderhorn scope, sighted it in at 25 yards, then shot two five-shot targets at 100 yards with my standard hunting load for this gun.

As you can see, both targets had two-inch groups. That's pretty much what I've come to expect with this gun and load at 100 yards. I occasionally get a 1.5" or 1" group, but that only happens on a very good day, and only if I let the barrel fully cool between shots.

Next time out I'm going to see how the BDC feature works with this load at 125, 150 and 175 yards.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

Nothing wrong with those groups.

I would likw to have one of those X7s. My plain old Z5 is an excellent shooter.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that sure was nice where that one and a half year old shot hit!
Old 05-24-2015, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would like to have one of those X7s. My plain old Z5 is an excellent shooter.
It's absolutely the cleanest shooting gun I have Josmund.

Here she is with the larger Powderhorn scope mounted.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:46 PM
Dominant Buck

It is hard to beat Goex for dependability. And that Simmons scope, I think that is a great muzzleloader scope. Very good shooting there.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

I would hunt with those kind of groups Semi, nice shooting!! Do you have many kills with the 300/.452 XTP's? I have only shot one small deer with them, but will most likely be using that bullet this fall with the Optima V2 pistol.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Toytruck, I've killed a half dozen deer with that bullet and it has become my go-to bullet for .50 caliber in-lines, and my sidelock .50s with Green Mountain LRH barrels. I have always gotten a pass through with it. The only other bullet I use for hunting in those guns is the 300 grain Speer Deep Curl.

My loads range from 85 to 95 grains GOEX FFFg, depending on the gun, with a muzzle velocity in the 1400 fps range.

I quit using 250 grain XTPs and Deep Curls several years ago because, although they killed every deer I shot with them, I wasn't impressed with how the bullets performed and seldom got a pass through.

Here's some data I've collected with the X7.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

It's a shame tc stopped making them, I could never part with mine.
Nice shooting..
Steve
Old 05-25-2015, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Semisane...
Are the target holes from the regular XTP 300 grain, or the 300 gr XTP Mag?

So you also parked those 50/40 200 gr XTPs you discussed here a couple times also?
Old 05-25-2015, 01:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Those were the regular XTPs Triple Se7en. I'll use either the regulars or the MAGs depending on availability and what might be on sale. I can't say I see any significant difference between the two in either accuracy or performance on game.

I don't fool around with .40 caliber bullets in .50 caliber rifles any more, not because of performance but because I could never get the consistent accuracy I get with .452 bullets. However, those .40/200 grain XTPs do real well in the .45 caliber GM Renegade and performance on deer is just fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.