Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Breech Plug cleaning >

Breech Plug cleaning

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech Plug cleaning

Old 05-26-2015, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

SL, how did you fix the drill bit into the dowel to stay put? That is a great idea.

Btw, I didn't need it this weekend...didn't get to shoot as much as I thought I would - only about 12 shots, so cleaning the bp wasn't needed.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

WV, not sure which ML you are using, but I use a TC Pro Hunter ML barrel. Just started using the BH209 myself. I noted that after about 10 shots, cleaning the carbon buildup from the BP was needed seriously. It's the ONLY drawback on using the BH209 that I have found so far. I was for-warned about this issue before I tried the stuff out so I was ready with a Bit. Plus my BP is really easy to pull so I don't need the Dowel rig like Sabot has (nifty use of the imagination btw sabot) I would pull yours and give it a thorough soak and cleaning. Carbon buildup is a really bad hindrance to your flame.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

super_hunt, its a Knight Disc.

So my thought (now) is to rig up a bit on a stick like SL showed, then when at the range I can hand clean the BP (without removing it) every 10-15 shots as needed. Without something like that, I'd have to remove the plug to clean it - which I'd rather not until I'm all the way done and ready to clean up the gun.

Its easy enough to clean once its out of the gun, my concern was during range time. I knew that if I shot quite a few shots w/o cleaning it, it could start to hinder performance. I don't know what that amount is. I shot 12 times the other day, will see how plugged up it is when I clean it later today. Thx
Old 05-26-2015, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
SL, how did you fix the drill bit into the dowel to stay put? That is a great idea.

Btw, I didn't need it this weekend...didn't get to shoot as much as I thought I would - only about 12 shots, so cleaning the bp wasn't needed.
Drill the hole in the stick with the bit so it is the correct size. Then put a little bit of quick drying Super Glue in the hole and on a bit of glue on the shank of the bit and push it in...
Old 05-26-2015, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Drill the hole in the stick with the bit so it is the correct size. Then put a little bit of quick drying Super Glue in the hole and on a bit of glue on the shank of the bit and push it in...
Thanks Mike
Old 05-26-2015, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use these and a nut driver handle or hex head screwdriver set. A 1/4" drive extension and socket work fine too if you need more length plus it can easily be made shorter for storage.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 05-26-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

As others have stated, I have not (yet) felt a need to clean my breach plug at the range shooting both an Omega and a Knight with a Lehigh plug (pre-Knight). Up to 30 shots with 100-110gr of BH209. Then again, maybe my shots would be tighter if I did!
Old 05-27-2015, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Upon cleaning my rifle & BP last night, I was able to just barely fit a 1/8" drill bit through the plug. Actually had to put some pressure on it to force it through the first time. Of course I used the 5/32" bit to clean it out fully.

So after 12 shots it was closed up by somewhat more than 1/32" it appears. I had no issues with ignition. Not sure how much it would have been closed had I shot another 12 or 15 shots, as I had originally planned.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

WV, if you put a few drops of light oil on the carbon before you drill it's a lot easier.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
WV, if you put a few drops of light oil on the carbon before you drill it's a lot easier.
Good to know, thanks semi