Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Barrel Makers

Old 05-22-2015, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an early Renegade .54, before they started marking the barrel to say Renegade, and no warning label, etc. It does have some odd markings on it ... can't remember what they are off hand, and I don't know who made the barrel. I tried to find out a while back, never could get a concrete answer through all the searching I did.

Its in the back of the safe, at some point I'll pull it out and take it down to see what the markings are again. I'll keep an eye on this thread, maybe some solid info will come. Maybe you'll get something from TC semi, but my gut says its a long shot.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I could be wrong, but I think by the time they made the Renegade the barrels were being made by TC.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I could be wrong, but I think by the time they made the Renegade the barrels were being made by TC.
What I was told when I was searching was that if it doesn't say the name of the rifle on the barrel, it was made by another barrel manufacturer for TC. ?? True or not, I have no clue. I know my barrel has some markings, just can't remember what they are right now.

I used to know when they started making renegades, I know it was a good while ago but I can't remember exactly when. Probably 30+yrs ago, I know they had them available when I got my first TC back in the late 80's.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, not true. They didn't put the name on the barrels at first, but were still TC barrels.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like I said, lots of info / mis-info out there. I honestly don't know what's right or true, and it really doesn't matter to me. Its a beautiful rifle in pristine condition. Pretty sure its at least 25yrs old, based on what the orig owner told me - but he couldn't even remember when he got it. ? I've just always been curious about the origin due to the markings on it. Maybe semi will dig up the answers for us all!
Old 05-22-2015, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's an early Hawken I sold awhile back. Definitely a TC barrel, but an early gun that TC had just stared to make their own barrels. No Hawken marking on the barrel.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/muzz...n-50-sale.html
Old 05-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Spade marking were made by sharon barrel company
Old 05-23-2015, 06:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Several of my Renegades have 'spade' and the 'M' on them and are not TC barrels.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Several of my Renegades have 'spade' and the 'M' on them and are not TC barrels.
Those should be rare Mike. I checked around, and it seems Sharon made the barrels for TC up until the mid 70's when Douglas took over.

The Renegade came out in 76, so few had the Sharon barrel. There should be a lot more TC Hawkens with Sharon barrels since it came out in 70.

Is the rifling on the Sharon shallow groove like the later TC barrels?
Old 05-23-2015, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Those should be rare Mike. I checked around, and it seems Sharon made the barrels for TC up until the mid 70's when Douglas took over.

The Renegade came out in 76, so few had the Sharon barrel. There should be a lot more TC Hawkens with Sharon barrels since it came out in 70.

Is the rifling on the Sharon shallow groove like the later TC barrels?
I just checked mine - they are all shallow groove - but I do not have any spade barrels left. All I have are the 'M' and '<>' barrel markings. Plus 3 Renegades with true TC barrels.

I think all the Renegades would be shallow as they all were 1-48 twist rates

Last edited by sabotloader; 05-23-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.