Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Spam messages - Wub >

Spam messages - Wub

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Spam messages - Wub

Old 05-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on how the site is ran, some leave the members control panel open so that they can access their accounts and PM moderators if they have questions about their bans or something. Cal will be able to explains these things as this is under his overview.

Spammers, big data, and even hackers can access accounts easily. They do it all the time and some times the compromised accounts will not find out about it till months later. Usually they store the info then sale it off to someone else and that person will then use the info to access accounts. Good idea is to make a difficult password (follow federal guidelines if not sure) and change it every couple months.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Cal,

I'm confused. Why would you ban Wub if he didn't send the PM's? I was assuming he did. What does he say about them?

Did you ban his account to see if the PM's would stop?
Good question. I'm not trying to punish Wub. I previously PM'd him a couple weeks ago when this problem was first reported. Wub didn't PM me back but the problem seemed to have stopped. Now the problem has started up again and still no response from Wub. I don't know the extent of his computer, account, etc. being hacked and don't wish to punish him but I also don't think it's fair to other members to get spammed in the PMs.

The temporary solution is to temporarily ban Wub (for a week) and see if Wub contacts HNI or anybody else here about his ban. Once he contacts somebody, we can work with him to get his account restored (change password, etc.) and hopefully get his computer, etc. un-hacked. Hopefully it works out sooner than later as I don't wish to lose any members unnecessarily.

FYI, I also sent Wub an email at his listed email addy to let him know about the hacking and hopefully to hear back from him from another computer, email, etc. If anybody knows him eprsonally, by all means call or contact him so he can get this issue resolved.

Cal

Last edited by CalHunter; 05-21-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I got the pm's too - both times. I'd bet his acct has been hacked. Seems like he'd realize it, but who knows.

Cal, you say he's banned...and maybe he'll contact HNI, how would he do that if he is banned? Just curious in case I ever get banned. LOL
Old 05-22-2015, 03:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can send a message when you're banned.

Guess how I know that?
Old 05-22-2015, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guess how I know that?
Thats what I was thinking, at this point would have to dig into the control panel features to verify.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by muley hunter
you can send a message when you're banned.

Guess how i know that?
Old 05-22-2015, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Guess how I know that?
Pete can be ornery but he's still one of my faves.

WV hunter, I'd have to defer to Muley on this particular aspect of the control panel as I haven't been on that end.

If WUB's computer is hacked but not his account, it's a simple solution--either use another computer to log in or get his computer debugged so he can log in and contact somebody like normal.

If his account has been hacked (Paul at Admin has told me that shouldn't be possible--the hacker would have to have Wub's passwords), it could get a little trickier. Wub won't be the first banned member to create a new member name and password to contact somebody at HNI. I don't get too worked up if it's just a member legitimately trying to resolve an issue and he's playing by the rules (only trying to get his original screen name restored to active status).

Hopefully we hear from him soon and get the issue(s) resolved.

Last edited by CalHunter; 05-22-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Old guys are suppose to be ornery.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

And you do it sooooo very well!!!!

On a more serious note, I just received an email from Wub, stating he hasn't been on HNI in a long time. Wub said his computer isn't hacked but his password for HNI was fairly simple. I unbanned his account so he can log in and change it. This should take care of the spam PM's. Please let me know if anybody has any further spam PMs.

Cal
Old 05-28-2015, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pete must be really old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.