Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Gong Chingadero

Old 04-28-2015, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gong Chingadero

Been setting cans, and jugs on the ground to shoot at. Got to thinking about Spring coming, and the flora growing enough to make seeing the ground difficult, so put this together.

The screws, and gong cost money, the plywood, two by, angle iron, and pipe were scavenged. The gong is 3/8" AR500 steel, and appears it will last longer than me. The pipe is just held by a hole in the brackets, the right size; no fasteners. The pipe measures 1 11/16" OD, and the hole holding the pipe is 1 7/8". The outside hole through the gusset i made too big, guessed wrong; so had to scab another piece of plywood inside, and guessed right on the hole size this second time. The idea of hanging the gong tilted down is to not deflect bullets back at the shooter; so far the shooter hasn't been hit.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like it. But for me the gong would have to be bigger. A lot bigger, something I can hit. Maybe a manhole cover. Lets see, that would take longer legs---
Old 04-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice Ron. And then later when you get to be a crack shot like our remarkable Mr. Semisane, you can turn the contraption 90* and shoot your projectiles through the pipe at extraordinary distances!
Just one question - Why did you make it so wide? Cut that pipe down with a hacksaw or recip saw.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like it. But for me the gong would have to be bigger. A lot bigger, something I can hit. Maybe a manhole cover.
LOL...same here.

Looks like a good set-up otherwise.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

A reason for such a small gong is the cost of shipping. Been thinking about a 10".

A reason for a wide gong chingadero is so one can hang more gongs, or cans of pop.

A reason for a wide gong chingadero is because it is almost always breezy, and it seemed prudent to do some, to avoid hitting the support legs with an errant bullet. The pipe was made as long as possible, and still fit inside the short box pick-up.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

It would be more fun to shoot the legs off it.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:51 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
A reason for such a small gong is the cost of shipping. Been thinking about a 10".
I have a 16 inch by 1/2 inch gong and you are right about shipping being expensive so when i wanted to add more gongs i decided to try some tractor discs i had laying around . They were plenty big and for the muzzleloader they seem to hold up just fine. The best part is they were free and no shipping involved .