Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
traditions buck stalker >

traditions buck stalker

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

traditions buck stalker

Old 04-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Spike

Default traditions buck stalker

im planning on getting a traditions buck stalker we are new to black powder hunting the gun is for my wife any 1 knw how good are these rifles
Old 04-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Just about any of the commercially sold Muzzle loaders today can be made to shoot well. Just don't think.. it can shoot 150 grains so that's what I need to shoot. Many tune in much lower. For instance my Optima Magnum loves 90 grains of powder. And is very accurate with that load. And that load is plenty.

When you get the rifle post some pictures of it if you can. I love to look at guns.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

I had a traditions pursuit XLT, accurate rifle, blowback terrible and heavy trigger, it didn't hold up very well to range time and hunting, that alloy receiver is a very soft metal and the primers dented the area around the firing pin, no steel bushing like on most other brands. Only muzzleloader I have ever sold and don't miss it one bit.

That has been 4 yrs ago, maybe they have changed.

I would look at the CVA Optima or Wolf, IMO, you would be much happier.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Luv my Trads Vortek Pistol and the Buckstalkers felt the best to me when I shouldered all of the main brands.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would suggest you look around check the finish inside the barrel the trigger pull and the way things are fitted together. Also it is a good idea to shoulder a number of different rifles when you find one that fits then check the quality, length of trigger pull and the way it comes up.
Also as Cayugad says don't worry about the 150 grain business start at 90 and work your way up, the way the gun groups will soon let you know what it likes.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by grizzly8
im planning on getting a traditions buck stalker we are new to black powder hunting the gun is for my wife any 1 knw how good are these rifles
Personally, I would opt for an inexpensive CVA or T/C break-action instead. I own a Traditions sidelock BTW and no plans on selling it.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:43 AM
Spike

Default Buckstalker

I absolutely love Traditions Buckstalkers. I've owned them with both style breech plugs. Light, super accurate, durable, and easy to clean. Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:15 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by hunter177
I absolutely love Traditions Buckstalkers. I've owned them with both style breech plugs. Light, super accurate, durable, and easy to clean. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the good word. I'm thinking about ordering a buck stalker, kind of nervous about buying a rifle sight unseen. I'll have to ask the dealer about that, whether by ordering, I'm committed.

I also own a Winchester model 70 and a marlin 336C. The Winchester failed to fire opening morning 2015, temps in the teens... I took apart the bolt and cleaned the spring and housing, tested it in freezing temps, same thing. Now it's at the smith to get a new spring, been in there 5 weeks, I'm told the spring is back ordered.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you want a cheap break action the CVA lineup is far superior. Traditions does not even offer real stainless steel and the triggers are not as good as a CVA. The CVA Optima in SS can be found for around $255 and Wolfs for around $210 including a scope mount at muzzle-loaders.com The Optima weighs nearly the same as a Buckstalker too.

One feature the Traditions lacks is a steel firing pin bushing. The steel bushing in the CVA can be shimmed for better primer fit AND removed for easier cleaning of the firing pin. The Traditions alloy frame tends to wear in this area too.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 02-26-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:56 PM
Banned

what TC offers real SS barrel other than the encore?

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 02-26-2016 at 07:00 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.