Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Mountaineer headed to Texas!! >

Mountaineer headed to Texas!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Mountaineer headed to Texas!!

Old 03-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Mountaineer headed to Texas!!

Taking the ol Knight Mountaineer to Texas to hunt Axis this coming weekend. I haven't had it out much lately due to work. I'm really looking forward to the hunt. Going to shoot a Barnes TMZ 290 grain bullet in front of 110 grains of Blackhorn 209. Should be enough muscle to get the job done. Hopefully I will have a few pics to post when I get back!!
Old 03-18-2015, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck!! Sounds fun
Old 03-18-2015, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by onetohunt
Taking the ol Knight Mountaineer to Texas to hunt Axis this coming weekend. I haven't had it out much lately due to work. I'm really looking forward to the hunt. Going to shoot a Barnes TMZ 290 grain bullet in front of 110 grains of Blackhorn 209. Should be enough muscle to get the job done. Hopefully I will have a few pics to post when I get back!!
Please give us a report when you get back.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Good luck. Take lots of pictures. Is this like an enclosed fenced huge ranch you go to?
Old 03-18-2015, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say it's enough. Your load will kill a bull elk easily.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome, good luck! Looking fwd to the pics!
Old 03-18-2015, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by onetohunt
Have a great hunt!
Old 03-18-2015, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Should be more than enough. I killed a 275 lb Aoudad in West Texas this year with 110 gr load of BH 209 and the Harvester 300 gr. PT Gold. One shot at 120 yds. They are a lot tougher animal to kill than an Axis.The Axis drop their horns based on when they were born and they rut somewhat on the same basis. We hunted our lease in mid Feb. and some Axis were in hard velvet, some had dropped horns etc. They are make a great, good looking trophy and they are great eating. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

I have nothing against fenced operations. As I get older ippreciate the idea more and more every year.

I've hunted high fence in Texas a couple of times. It's different for sure. At one place they put out corn so much the deer were practically pets. On the other ranch they were a bit more jumpy but still pretty tame. You could put a stalk right on them.mthey would look up at you and as long as they had corn to eat they would keep on grazing. Sorta like cattle.

The differences saw was when you hit them they basically just went down when you hit them. They did not seem to have the flight and fight in them that the deer in free range have.

Good luck. I've been wanting to add a axis in my wall.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys! This will be a low fence free range hunt. Axis breed year round this is why they are becoming over ran with them in texas. I shot a doe and it is some of the best tasting venison I have ever eaten!!