Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Old CVA Bobcat as back-up/plinker >

Old CVA Bobcat as back-up/plinker

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old CVA Bobcat as back-up/plinker

Old 03-15-2015, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Old CVA Bobcat as back-up/plinker

I have the opportunity to buy a older CVA Bobcat cheaply, from what I gather it has a 26" barrel, 1:48 twist with percussion ignition in .50cal. Basically the standard Bobcat with plastic stock and a scope mounted(unknown brand).

From what I read on the internet it's basically a dis-continued rifle, was a entry level rifle but prone to a nasty kick due to the light stock. Does anybody have more experience with the specific rifle? What was the accuracy like from a average Bobcat with like roundball etc?

It will be a plinker rifle and maybe as a back-up rifle.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had it's sister CVA Stalker. I bought a couple of those long and narrow irons from Home Depot, plus a can of foam spray and inserted both into the rear opening of the stock. I added about 1-1/2 lbs to the rifle and balanced the stock nicely. Then I purchased a slip-on recoil pad and never had any more recoil issues with it.

That 1:48 gun will probably shoot sabots between 180 and 280 grains better and further than a roundball.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I owned a CVA Stalker Bass Pro Special, AKA Bobcat. I too removed the back butt plate and added about two pounds of bird shot that I vacuum sealed twice, into the butt of the rifle. After replacing the butt plate it took all the kick out of the rifle.

As for accuracy, 85 grains of 2f Triple Seven an over the powder car and a patched round ball, and the first year owning it, I was able to harvest three deer with it. Not one deer went over 30 yards after being hit. I found the rifle easy to carry, accurate, and because of the price, I guess I did not worry about whether it got scratched.

I finally traded that off even up for a Knight LK-II. But it was a great rifle.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the feedback, think I'm gonna take the plunge.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a CVA Owner's Instruction and Safety Manual for a Wolf. The last page is about a voluntary recall. It says:

In August of 1997, CVA implemented a Voluntary Recall of all in-line rifle models with serial numbers ending in -95 or -96.

If you, or someone you know, have a CVA in-line with such a serial number, do not use or allow anyone else to use the gun under any circumstances. Call CVA immediately at
770-449-4687 for complete details and instructions on how to receive a replacement gun.

In May of 1999, Blackpowder Products, Inc. purchased the assets of Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. and now operates under the trade name of Connecticut Valley Arms and/or CVA. Any claims related to the above-described Voluntary Recall should be addressed to Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc., not to Blackpowder Products, Inc. Blackpowder Products, Inc. assumes no responsibility for any products manufactured and sold prior to January 1, 1998.

I think I would want to know what year that Bobcat was made before I bought it.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:00 AM
Dominant Buck

The Bobcat is a traditional rifle style and does not fall in the recall .
Old 03-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one, but haven't shot it much. I was able to pick one up for $60 and couldn't pass it up.

The times I've shot it, I don't remember the recoil being very bad. But I never used more than 80 grains of powder, so that may be the reason.

In the limited shooting I did, I was not able to get good accuracy with sabots. But I did not try PRB or conicals. I would say if it is a really good deal, it is worth picking up to play around with. Other than the cheap plastic stock, it seems to be fairly well made.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Cayugad, its a percussion type rifle. Will only have the rifle in my paws in 3 weeks time, rifle owner is on a tour overseas from what I understand.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:42 PM
Spike

They are accurate rifles. With the 1:48 twist and prb's 80-85 grains will probably be the best charge. My groups open up with more than 80 grains of powder. I installed a slip on limb saver recoil pad on mine but it is quite manageble without it.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

I had the Bobcat's cousin- the Plainsman, for a while; nice little gun, shot prb exactly where you pointed it at 75 yds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.