Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet Question

Old 03-08-2015, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Barnes bullets are great, 300 gr. Expander:

Entrance:

Exit:

But I have grown to like the Parker bullets. They cover just anything from short to long range. And their accuracy is amazing.

http://www.parkerproductionsinc.com

But one last thought, I too am an archery hunter. Please don't mix up the wound from an arrow and a bullet. There is no comparison!!! I always said the if I got shot I would rather get shot by a bullet then and arrow. Arrow words are nasty!!!
Old 03-09-2015, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
Those Deep Curls you mention are HPs or SPs?
Hollow Points. My personal favorite is the 240/.429. Great accuracy and impressive terminal performance.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll agree with a lot of the other posters. As long as you are getting an exit wound, blood trails largely depend on shot placement. The best blood trails I've had were shooting from a tree stand at a steep downward angle - the exit wound was low in the chest, with the blood pouring out of it. Having said that, there have been times that for whatever reason, there was not much blood.

A agree with lemonye - the most consistently lethal shot is hitting the knot of arteries/vessels that come off the top of the heart - you have the highly pressurized ascending aorta, aortic arch, as well as the superior vena cava - you put a bullet through this area and it instantly depressurizes the deer's circulatory system.

It's always fun to try new bullets, so if you want to, try some others out. But the Barnes that you have been using will be hard to beat. As the others have said, try aiming a little lower in the chest cavity.