HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Lehigh 40x200 XP Bullet (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/397857-lehigh-40x200-xp-bullet.html)

sabotloader 02-24-2015 03:46 PM

Lehigh 40x200 XP Bullet

My bullets arrived today and I am hoping to get out to the farm tomorrow afternoon to get some shooting in with them. These are the Brass Muzzleloading style of bullet versus the XP Copper bullet that has been available for awhile now.

Because of the characteristics or properties of brass they will penetrate deeper than the copper counter parts. I did not know this but was informed about it. The ATF will not allow pistol bullets to be made of brass because the penetration properties of brass could allow it to penetrate bullet Proof vests.

Not really going to do much but I am taking a DISC Extreme (1-30 Twist) and a Original Super DISC (1-20 Twist) for the testing. Often the length of the 40x200 CF and now possibly the 40x200 XP will not stabilize in the DISC Extreme.

I have had really good luck with the 40x200 CF at my elevation while others have not, so I am really curious, although it is not a real problem because Lehigh plans on making the 185 grain version also for the slower twist.

They really are an interesting bullet the leading edges of the nose are really sharp, not knife sharp but definitely sharp enough to cut.

Grouse45 has already shot these bullets and at this point I am just really verifying what he probably has already found.

Now the important thoughts... will they work as a big game projectile. All of the research and in house testing that Lehigh has down indicates the will be a really devastating bullet. The design allows the bullet to move through and when it encounter liquid it will form and direct a jet of liquid up and out from the nose of the bullet. This jet stream will rupture other internal organs as the bullet moves by. If you look at the cavities in the nose of the bullet I think you can see how the bullet will collect liquid and direct it to a sharp stream rotating out away from the bullet. The velocity and rotation of the bullet will enhance the whole thing and as some else posted creating 'super cavitation' internally in the animal.

Again I am behind the 8-ball again as Carlos of Ed's Gun Shop has already harvested deer and shot jell with the copper pistol bullet. His reports have been very favorable.

After this initial test then I plan on returning for some velocity measurements and also some destructive force testing through some wet clay and water.

So really - I guess I am just satisfying my own curiosity. If the accuracy proves to be as good as suggested I fully intend to harvest at least one deer with one during the up-coming season.

TNHagies 02-24-2015 04:23 PM

These are certainly interesting. People are often looking for a load that has low recoil but still provides good penetration and lethality. i.e. for kids, women and those who are recoil sensitive. If these perform as claimed, that could be a good product for those individuals.

Grouse45 02-24-2015 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by TNHagies (Post 4186637)
These are certainly interesting. People are often looking for a load that has low recoil but still provides good penetration and lethality. i.e. for kids, women and those who are recoil sensitive. If these perform as claimed, that could be a good product for those individuals.

That's a very good point!!

1874sharpsshooter 02-24-2015 05:49 PM

Ate these available yet or still in testing phase?

Grouse45 02-24-2015 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter (Post 4186648)
Ate these available yet or still in testing phase?

Testing right now

1874sharpsshooter 02-24-2015 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 4186650)
Testing right now

Ok thanks

Triple Se7en 02-25-2015 04:46 AM

Often the length of the 40x200 CF and now possibly the 40x200 XP will not stabilize in the DISC Extreme.

-----------------

I hate sideways-flying bullets. Not even 90 grains (vol) or under?
I understand the desired testing bullet speeds are up around 2K. But how would the XP Lehigh bullet do at around 1.5K? Not all of use are hunting 200-300 yards. I generally work inside 150.

Also, when you speak of 40-cal destabilization, are you talking 'flight', or you talking going sideways when entering one of those testing gel-blocks?

sabotloader 02-25-2015 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en (Post 4186678)
Often the length of the 40x200 CF and now possibly the 40x200 XP will not stabilize in the DISC Extreme.

-----------------

I hate sideways-flying bullets. Not even 90 grains (vol) or under?

We all do... In the DISC Extreme/Elite series the twist rate is to slow to stabilize the length of the 40x200 in some rifles especially when loaded with softer powder loads. In the faster twist rifles it does not appear to be a problem. Lehigh is aware of this and will/does offer a 185 grain bullet to compensate for that factor.

I understand the desired testing bullet speeds are up around 2K. But how would the XP Lehigh bullet do at around 1.5K? Not all of use are hunting 200-300 yards. I generally work inside 150.
I understand what you are indicating and with the XP of appropriate length for your twist that is not a problem.

In my particular case the older 40x200 CF shoots great down to 100 grains - never tried any less than that. The 40x200 is really a soft recoiling bullet. Sorta like shooting a 22 Mag or 17HMR - no its gotta be bigger than that I could easily relate it to a my 222 or 22-250.

Also, when you speak of 40-cal destabilization, are you talking 'flight', or you talking going sideways when entering one of those testing gel-blocks?
Flight thru the air and hitting a paper target - so tumbling.

But again if you have a slow twist just get the 185's

I am hoping to find out a lot more this afternoon at the farm.