Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lehigh Defense Update >

Lehigh Defense Update

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lehigh Defense Update

Old 02-19-2015, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Are they shorter than similar weight Bloodlines?
I would think so, but not sure. Ill check that out tonight.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

Ed's Gun Shop in Vass NC has been selling the 250's for a couple months already. Carlos already harvested a doe with one also.
http://youtu.be/yAcXEKlhEg4

Here's the 300gr he tested also. http://youtu.be/MmpFcIhPY34
Old 02-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega45
Ed's Gun Shop in Vass NC has been selling the 250's for a couple months already. Carlos already harvested a doe with one also.
http://youtu.be/yAcXEKlhEg4

Here's the 300gr he tested also. http://youtu.be/MmpFcIhPY34
Yes, those are copper pistol bullets. The Muzzleloader bullets are brass and even better. Didn't get all the details yet but I will on the difference between the pistol bullets and the muzzleloader besides copper and brass.

The 300grn brass bullet on the second link is a CF bullet controlled fracturing. That bullet is very similar to a bloodline bullet. The CF bullet has 4 petals the bloodline same weight bullet has 6 petals. I'm pretty sure the new Muzzleloader bullet will have 3 longer heavier pellets. I believe Lehigh believes the new ML bullet will out perform the current bloodline bullets. To me it's pretty obvious in the gel testing, the controlled fracturing bullets are by far the best muzzleloader bullet you can buy. I've known this for years now, it just takes others a little longer to learn
Great job on both videos for sure.

Last edited by Grouse45; 02-19-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:09 PM
Spike

Here is a pic of the heart from a deer that I shot in Dec, with the Lehigh 458/300 gr Subsonic CF, 110 gr of BH 209, 158 yards, Very accurate and did a great job on the heart. As you can see the pedals did break off and did there job.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Went to the range this morning to check out accuracy on the new XP muzzleloader bullets. I took the 45 Knight Elite, and the 45 1/20 super Disc. Both muzzleloaders shot the bullets very accurately. I'm going to take both muzzleloaders loaded with the XP bullets and try to shoot a couple Deer tonight. I got permission to hunt a farm that has red tags to shoot after the season because of crop damage. We are having a snow storm now, hopefully the Deer move before dark.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:59 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Lehigh Defense is constantly looking to improve a wide variety of bullets. Though CF rifle bullets and pistol ammo seem to be there specialty, they are also putting in efforts to expand and make there muzzleloading bullets second to none.
Lehigh Defense is bringing out two new lines of Muzzleloader bullets. The first one is the XP (Xtreme Penatrator). The magic happens with the nose design where the radial flutes force the hydraulic energy inward and then as the energy is restricted, it accelerates outward creating high pressure spikes damaging surrounding tissue. Kind of similar to sticking your thumb over a garden hose. The permanent wound cavity of the XP is from two to four times greater than what a flat or ball nose bullet generates and often larger than traditional expanding bullets. So what you get is exceptional penetration coupled with a larger permanent wound cavity.

If you check out the website you will notice the XP pistol ammo is copper. The XP Muzzleloader bullets will be brass. http://www.lehighdefense.com/pages/xtreme-penetrator Of course us Muzzleloader shooters/hunters want the best, and Brass is definitely better in all aspects and im sure Lehigh will tell you the same.
As far as bullet weights in the new XP line are still in discussion. A .452 250grn bullet is for sure. Also probably a .452 275grn bullet and possibly a .458 300grn bullet.
The XP bullets have been already shipped out for testing. Im sure you will see some range reports this week.

As far as price on the XP bullets, they are going to be right around 85cents a piece. Lehigh defense also has great shipping prices. No matter how much you order its a flat $5.00 to ship anyplace in the USA.

The second new line of ML bullets will be the controlled fracturing bullet. The controlled fracturing bullet is my personal favorite. The original design is currently being sold by Knight Rifles called the Bloodlines. After 100 Plus kills on big game In my opinion without a doubt, i know this design is the best ML bullet in the industry for big game.
http://www.lehighdefense.com/pages/c...and-ammunition
The change will be in the petals. For example the Bloodline bullets are 6 petals. The new design will offer three heavier petals and they will be longer. Again in the muzzleloader line these will be brass bullets.

As far as bullet weights in the controlled fracturing are also still in discussion. A .40 185 to 195grn is for sure. And im almost positive there will be a 230grn. The 230grn is my favorite Lehigh/Bloodline that Knight never did put out for sale.

I don't know any pricing on the controlled fracturing bullets as of yet.

Both new designs will only be sold through Lehigh Defense. I’m pretty confident that the new Muzzleloader bullets will be on the website to purchase in March 2015.
The Lehigh Bullets mention in this article, the XP's 250 gr. and the CF's 300 gr. subsonic four petal and the 305 subsonic three petal, have already been tested this past summer by me and few others. I got together with Mike Cyrus and did some jell test on them which has been posted on TWANG and BANG web site. Both bullets have preform great and deer have been taken with the XP's and the CF's. I personally took the first ever deer taken with the XP's, and actually took 3 more, and Dave Letchoe a good friend of mine took one withe the CF's 300 gr.. So there is really no mystery to these bullets, and yes they do preformed great. We have been selling this bullets at ED's Gun Shop since the begin of the this year and we have them in stock right now. We are also selling sample packs so if any one wanted to try them out they could with out having to buy a whole bunch of different ones. If you so desire to try some, go to the Frontier Muzzle Loader forum, and we have everything listed there with prices.
Thanks.
CArlos
Old 02-22-2015, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cvilorio
The Lehigh Bullets mention in this article, the XP's 250 gr. and the CF's 300 gr. subsonic four petal and the 305 subsonic three petal, have already been tested this past summer by me and few others. I got together with Mike Cyrus and did some jell test on them which has been posted on TWANG and BANG web site. Both bullets have preform great and deer have been taken with the XP's and the CF's. I personally took the first ever deer taken with the XP's, and actually took 3 more, and Dave Letchoe a good friend of mine took one withe the CF's 300 gr.. So there is really no mystery to these bullets, and yes they do preformed great. We have been selling this bullets at ED's Gun Shop since the begin of the this year and we have them in stock right now. We are also selling sample packs so if any one wanted to try them out they could with out having to buy a whole bunch of different ones. If you so desire to try some, go to the Frontier Muzzle Loader forum, and we have everything listed there with prices.
Thanks.
CArlos
Yes Carlos I saw your video. But you were using pistol bullets in your muzzleloader. What you have not tested is the muzzleloader bullets to my knowledge.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very interesting. My only question/concern is how they actually perform on game- it is one thing to shoot a gelatin block and make assumptions on how it will actually perform, it is another thing to actually shoot some game and see if it pans out in real life. I guess I'm a little skeptical of the non-expanding design, at least in .40 cal. I have always been impressed by the Lehigh controlled fracturing bullets - I've taken a couple deer with them and they perform very well.

I'm not completely doubting this bullet, I would just want to see some more reports on actual game before I run out and buy it. I can definitely see using the .452 version on large/dangerous game for the extra penetration (elk/moose/bear), but I guess I'm not seeing the advantage of using XP for deer sized game over the controlled fracturing version, or even a standard hollowpoint/ballistic tip. Seems like all that penetration is not necessary for a 150 pound deer....
Old 02-23-2015, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
Very interesting. My only question/concern is how they actually perform on game- it is one thing to shoot a gelatin block and make assumptions on how it will actually perform, it is another thing to actually shoot some game and see if it pans out in real life. I guess I'm a little skeptical of the non-expanding design, at least in .40 cal. I have always been impressed by the Lehigh controlled fracturing bullets - I've taken a couple deer with them and they perform very well.

I'm not completely doubting this bullet, I would just want to see some more reports on actual game before I run out and buy it. I can definitely see using the .452 version on large/dangerous game for the extra penetration (elk/moose/bear), but I guess I'm not seeing the advantage of using XP for deer sized game over the controlled fracturing version, or even a standard hollowpoint/ballistic tip. Seems like all that penetration is not necessary for a 150 pound deer....
Gell testing is a good start, but in the field results is the best. I can tell you it wont be better on game then the controlled fracturing. But its another option for those who do not like the idea of controlled fracturing. The XP should be better then current mushrooming bullets on the market today. I cant wait to shoot some game with them to see how they do.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Gell testing is a good start, but in the field results is the best. I can tell you it wont be better on game then the controlled fracturing. But its another option for those who do not like the idea of controlled fracturing. The XP should be better then current mushrooming bullets on the market today. I cant wait to shoot some game with them to see how they do.
In addition:

I would add that one of the reasons for the XP is the reduced cost versus the CF; while still providing a bullet that would provide equal, if not greater Terminal Ballistics and penetration, than the current Hollow Point pistol bullets on the market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.