Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Kodiak

Old 02-05-2015, 05:50 AM
Spike

Default CVA Kodiak

Hi everyone I need a little advice with buying a used muzzy. This fellow on a hunting forum that I frequent has a cva kodiak magnum in stainless with a camo stock for sale along with hawken scope. there is a catch he says that the trigger guard is loose and moves around a little. from what i understand this is a muzzy where the action drops in order to put the primer in. The guy states that he has never fired the gun that his friend gave it to him so possibly he may be ignorant as to how the gun works or it may legitimately have aproblem with the muzzy. Also can you guys tell me a little about the scope ? Hes asking $200 is this a fair deal ? also how is cva for warranty work woulkd they help me out ? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm guessing that it was $279 when new. We cannot see the used rifle, so whether this is a deal?.... is unknown to us.

Today, you can get a brand new CVA Wolf stainless or a T/C Impact (without inexpensive) scopes on either), for $249.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:24 AM
Spike

I was going to offer him $100 and see how that goes. If I remember correctly these kodiaks were nice guns
Old 02-05-2015, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you know the bore is in excellent shape and the trigger guard won't be needing a smith repair.... also the value of a Hawkens scope, which Ive never heard of, then it may be worth more than $100. The only Hawkens scope I found on the internet is a T/C @ $130. It's fixed / limited severely 1.5x5.

Hard to say from here. I don't believe we can help you with your $$decision, at least not without pics and a better description of condition and scope.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:29 AM
Dominant Buck

The Hawken Hunter scope is from T/C. I have one. Its a 1x but I think they also came in magnification too. As for the rifle being stainless... are you sure its stainless and not nickel coated? Big difference. Either way, if the bore is good, I would offer him much less. You can always come up. If he gets near the $200 mark, point out that a brand new one with more modern features is only $50 bucks more. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:35 AM
Spike

it very well could be nickel dont know thanks for the advice cayugad. anybody know anything about the trigger guard ?

Last edited by 2LungKing; 02-05-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:33 AM
Spike

I have a CVA Kodiak blued. There is a little play with the trigger guard but it does not impact the safety of the weapon. When the block locks into place there is a distinct "click." It takes a little bit of force to unlock the block; and again there is a "click" when the block falls away.

I've been happy with mine. Only issue is occasionally the used primer falls down into the mechanism when you open it after firing. You have to turn the rifle over and whack it a few times to get it out.