Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barrel length.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:27 PM
Spike

Default Barrel length.

I was killing time going back through some old articles on this forum.I ran across one article showing how to cut a barrel off.I think it was written by Semisane but since I have CRS,I might have to edit this.Anyway its a good article and it doesn't seem to require a lot of tools,,just patience.I have one fine shooting rifle,it weighs a ton,has a 28 inch barrel.I can get a light weight stock and was thinking about cutting 3 or 4 inches off it..If I cut a couple of inches off will it still be accurate if done properly??And not having a proper crown like some rifles,,will this mess things up ??My thought is that if you order a custom barrel to length you want,say with a 1-28 twist ,24 inches long,it should be just as accurate as a 25,26,28 barrel with the same twist..So I am up for thoughts n suggestions.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you considered selling it first? If it's a 10 lb T/C Hawkens, it may sell faster than you think.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Should be about 8 1/2 lbs.

Ever weigh it?
Old 01-31-2015, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer 38-44 inch barrels on my flinters...
Old 01-31-2015, 04:41 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
Have you considered selling it first? If it's a 10 lb T/C Hawkens, it may sell faster than you think.
No,its an old Austin and Halleck 50 cal. bolt action.Its about as long as a Hawkin rifle tho..I saw where Boyds offered a nice left handed, light weight thumbhole stock and I thought if I cut the barrel off some it would be easier to handle in the woods..I wouldn't attempt to saw a Hawken barrel off..I think the rifle weight is a little over 8.5 pounds.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by inghamtr
No,its an old Austin and Halleck 50 cal. bolt action.Its about as long as a Hawkin rifle tho..I saw where Boyds offered a nice left handed, light weight thumbhole stock and I thought if I cut the barrel off some it would be easier to handle in the woods..I wouldn't attempt to saw a Hawken barrel off..I think the rifle weight is a little over 8.5 pounds.
If that's what you really wanna do...

Take it to a GOOD smith... they should be able to chuck that barrel up in a lathe and indicate it in (after they make the rough cut) and then face it smooth and re-crown it.

BPS
Old 01-31-2015, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

dbowling just cut one of his Knights down over 5" and it turned out great and shoots well. Maybe you can PM him for more info.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:16 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
If that's what you really wanna do...

Take it to a GOOD smith... they should be able to chuck that barrel up in a lathe and indicate it in (after they make the rough cut) and then face it smooth and re-crown it.

BPS
I am just thinking about it at the moment ,while waiting for the weather to break,so I can go back to work..I guess I will try n locate me a good gun smith..That should keep me busy for a while.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
dbowling just cut one of his Knights down over 5" and it turned out great and shoots well. Maybe you can PM him for more info.
Thanks for that info. 5 inches off the Austin&Halleck would still leave me a decent brush gun. I have to figure out how to find him on this site and PM him,,lol
Old 01-31-2015, 05:33 PM
Spike

I figured it out,,thanks for your help WV Hunter..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.