Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barrel length.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do it yourself. It's easy, and if you're careful the results will match anything a smith can do.

I believe this is the thread you referred to.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...l-shorter.html
Old 01-31-2015, 08:31 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Semisane
Do it yourself. It's easy, and if you're careful the results will match anything a smith can do.

I believe this is the thread you referred to.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...l-shorter.html
Yes that's it..I am thinking of trying it..I already have the tools,since at times I think I am a plumber,lol.If I mess it up,I can always go to a gun smith.So how did your rifle shoot afterwards?
Old 02-01-2015, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would sell it and depending on finances, would consider purchasing a short, lightweight CVA Wolf for brush-style activities.

My recently purchased (on clearance $199) Knight Vision (all black) will be my go anywhere, get all scratched-up and bloody ML of the future. It's a bit on the heavy & long side, but gun slings do serve their purpose.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:55 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Sell an Austin Halleck to buy a CVA Wolf?????

Old 02-01-2015, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Because it's a better gun.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Yep, if you've been following his reason on being too heavy.

CVAs are a sin to me too. But I allow them with CVA-loving passengers inside my vehicle for transporting MLs to hunting cabins and really, it's all about helping another member here remain comfortable with his ML and keeping him attached to this fine sport.

But I will never recommend / allow any Traditions owners inside my truck..... NEVER.

........................... just kidding there........ I love my Traditions Shenandoah
Old 02-01-2015, 07:09 AM
Spike

I have decided to leave the Austin & Halleck be and instead cut the barrel off my Knight T-bolt.It already has a composite stock and is stainless.I think that might make a good brush gun for those rainy days..Now I will just have to decide how long.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

So how did your rifle shoot afterwards?
It shot fine. The 100 yard groups tightened up a small bit, but nothing spectacular.

Barrel length is not a factor in accuracy so long as the load is tuned to the barrel. If your objective is to reduce weight and have a shorter/faster handling gun, go for it.

The condition of the crown is a factor, but it's really not that hard to end up with a good quality crown when cutting a barrel.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:20 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by inghamtr
I have decided to leave the Austin & Halleck be and instead cut the barrel off my Knight T-bolt.It already has a composite stock and is stainless.I think that might make a good brush gun for those rainy days..Now I will just have to decide how long.
good decision. Is that AH by any chance a 420???

Old 02-01-2015, 07:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Semisane
It shot fine. The 100 yard groups tightened up a small bit, but nothing spectacular.

Barrel length is not a factor in accuracy so long as the load is tuned to the barrel. If your objective is to reduce weight and have a shorter/faster handling gun, go for it.

The condition of the crown is a factor, but it's really not that hard to end up with a good quality crown when cutting a barrel.
Yes that's what I am looking for,is a short fast handling rifle.And the fact of doing it myself would make it better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.