HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   How many different muzzleloaders have you had multiple big game harvests with? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/397330-how-many-different-muzzleloaders-have-you-had-multiple-big-game-harvests.html)

Grouse45 01-28-2015 06:57 PM

How many different muzzleloaders have you had multiple big game harvests with?

1- Traditions Flintlock
2- T/C Renegade Flintlock
3- Lyman DeerStalker Flintlock
4- 50 Knight Extreme
5- Winchester something??? Lol
6- 45 Knight Extreme
7- T/C Omega
8- T/C Triumph
9- CVA Accura
10- 50 Nula custom
11- T/C Encore
12- T/C Prohunter
13- T/C Endeavor
14- 50 Knight Elite
15- 45 Knight Elite
16- 50 Knight Ultralite
17- 50 Knight Mountaineer
18- 50 Knight Vision

Triple Se7en 01-28-2015 07:01 PM

Wow!
I haven't harvested that many deer, let-alone with one style rifle.

Semisane 01-28-2015 08:02 PM

Dang Grouse. I was going to respond. But after looking at your list I tucked my tail 'tween my legs, slunk my belly down close to the floor, and crept under the bed.

Blackpowdersmoke 01-28-2015 09:00 PM

Well Grouse...

I see you're a PA boy as well. Maybe you should ignore what I said in your post about wanting a Knight flintlock built because it's obvious you have flintlocks and have taken deer with them. As for myself, I've passed on many opportunities to kill a deer just to say I've killed a deer with this rifle or that rifle. I live right on the PA/NY border (2/10 mile) and they literally SLAUGHTER the deer across the line from me. The same deer herd passes to and fro, not to mention that their firearms season always starts earlier than ours and there are NO antler restrictions in NY. They also get multiple doe tags so they just pile them up. If we don't exercise some restraint on this side of the line, we won't have any deer.

BPS

Grouse45 01-28-2015 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke (Post 4182506)
Well Grouse...
I see you're a PA boy as well. Maybe you should ignore what I said in your post about wanting a Knight flintlock built because it's obvious you have flintlocks and have taken deer with them. As for myself, I've passed on many opportunities to kill a deer just to say I've killed a deer with this rifle or that rifle. I live right on the PA/NY border (2/10 mile) and they literally SLAUGHTER the deer across the line from me. There are NO antler restrictions in NY and they get multiple doe tags so they just pile them up. If we don't exercise some restraint on this side of the line, we won't have any deer.

BPS

Way to many Deer here. Most hunters don't understand how important it is to kill Doe were needed. The buck to Doe ratio in my opinion needs to be 1 to 1. That's why Ohio has so many big bucks.

Blackpowdersmoke 01-28-2015 09:14 PM

I can understand that, but when I hunt, I want to see deer. A 1:1 ratio means sitting long hours just to see a deer where I live. I'm not a trophy hunter, I have no problem passing on the spikes, threes, and fours, but as I say, these deer that we pass up go 400 yds. through the woods into NY and get whacked. Until NY does some kind of antler restriction, I'm not gonna see big racks in my area and I don't care what the ratio is.

BPS

Blackpowdersmoke 01-28-2015 09:17 PM

Bottom line...

IF YOU DON'T HAVE DOES TO ATTRACT THE BUCKS... YOU WON'T HAVE BUCKS!!!

BPS

Grouse45 01-28-2015 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke (Post 4182510)
I can understand that, but when I hunt, I want to see deer. A 1:1 ratio means sitting long hours just to see a deer where I live. I'm not a trophy hunter, I have no problem passing on the spikes, threes, and fours, but as I say, these deer that we pass up go 400 yds. through the woods into NY and get whacked. Until NY does some kind of antler restriction, I'm not gonna see big racks in my area and I don't care what the ratio is.

BPS

My uncle owns around 90 acres boarding the allegheny national forest in Salamanca NY. I haven't hunted there in 8 years or so but back then it was shotgun muzzleloader only. I believe they have changed the laws now.

inghamtr 01-28-2015 09:23 PM

Well in Virginia we really only have two types of big game ,deer n black bear,so that leaves one,,Knight T bolt 50 cal..If its multiple deer then Thompson Center Thunderhawk,TC Grey Hawk,TC Renegade,TC 54 Scout,,Knight Mk 85 50 cal, 50 cal.Knight Disc Extreme,,Savage ML11,White super 91,in 50,45 and 41,,White 50 cal super safari,Green Mountian 54-120,45 cal.Knight Disc Extreme,TC Omega,White 45 Bison,White 2001 carbon wrapped 50 cal,TC Encore,Austin &Halleck 50 cal,,52 cal,Knight long range hunter, TC Hawkin 50 cal Lrh,,Traditions 50 cal Lightining bolt..I might have missed something,but I used to hunt on a farmer that had 10 damage stamps,and you could take 2 deer a day at the time.I used a muzzleloader for all my hunting. I gave most of the meat away to the guys on the job and the needy..

inghamtr 01-28-2015 09:37 PM

I have to add this,in some places in Va. the deer herd is way out of balance,you see a lot of deer with a nice rack on one side and a spike or claw on the other.Lots of semi white deer and spotted deer.After a few years of culling does and bucks with messed up racks,the quality of deer improved on the land we hunted on.My hunting buddy shot 2 bucks in the 150 class..I also hunted on my girl friends property where they only shot bucks and let all the does walk.Like all things in nature you have to have a balance .My Gf property was over run with does and you where lucky to see a buck of any kind.