Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How many different muzzleloaders have you had multiple big game harvests with? >

How many different muzzleloaders have you had multiple big game harvests with?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How many different muzzleloaders have you had multiple big game harvests with?

Old 02-13-2015, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by toytruck
Hunter Safety classes are still free here last I heard. I went with my then 12 y/o grandson back 3 years ago when it was a 8 hr. all day class. We both got 100 on the final test...I agree they should take the course first before hunting. Dad wouldn't let my brother or I hunt till we did.
Yep, still free....though they don't offer the full day class anymore to my knowledge. Now you have to take like 4 days, 2hrs a day or something. I took my kids about 4-5yrs ago... it was actually pretty fun. I enjoyed it and my kids learned alot.
My son was 12 but had already been hunting with me about 5yrs and killed a half dozen deer by that point, but the classroom training added alot of value to his field training with me.

I actually like VA's way of doing things and their apprentice program. I also don't understand why some states don't allow young kids to hunt until they reach a certain age first. Some kids certainly aren't ready at young ages, but there are plenty that are mature enough to be able to hunt (with supervision of course).

Of course I do believe they should all have the hunters safety course and a few years of supervised hunting before being allowed to hunt solo.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by toytruck
Hunter Safety classes are still free here last I heard. I went with my then 12 y/o grandson back 3 years ago when it was a 8 hr. all day class. We both got 100 on the final test...I agree they should take the course first before hunting. Dad wouldn't let my brother or I hunt till we did.
I agree..

Nothing against kids hunting at younger ages, but I'm uncertain about the "youth mentor" program that PA now has in place. I know it has a meaningful purpose, but I have a feeling that some undesirables actually use this as an outlet for their own benefit. Oh well, that's a whole new topic for us to discuss later. When my son was nearing hunting age, I let him "accompany" me on a few deer hunts where we had to sit still, look, and listen. I never shot a deer while he was with me even though we saw deer because back then, our state (PA) had a divided season during the regular firearms season (two weeks buck only, 1-3 days of doe only). While he may not have had the opportunity to kill a deer or experience me field dressing one at that age, he did learn a valuable skill...PATIENCE!!

When it came time for his first appointment with deer season, he was ready but couldn't make it happen because he just didn't have those few extra skills we have all gained from experience. I watched a group of 6-8 deer passing below us on opening day of Buck season at a distance of 75-80 yards and while I did a quick check for for antlers, I saw that the last deer had a rack. I whispered to my son.... "The last one is a buck... as soon as he's in the clear, take your shot." Well... they all walked by unscathed because he was so mesmerized by the fact that he was the guy holding the rifle (I didn't even have a rifle with me, just a pair of binoculars), that he was too busy looking at the does as they passed by rather than doing a quick scan of what's what and picking out the one you're going to shoot.

Long story short... by the time he realized there was a buck in the group, even though I had already given him the "head's up", the buck slipped back into the cover and was gone...

He killed his first buck the next season, and 5 more after that. He no longer hunts, but it's not because he has a problem with hunting. He has a professional career now and he's still climbing ladders. As he explained it to me... my time off is very limited and I love to fish, (as do I) so I'd rather fish when I have the time. As he told me... I can fish year around, but I can only deer hunt part of the year so I'd rather fish.

I guess it's a matter of... "To each his own"...

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 02-15-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
I'm uncertain about the "youth mentor" program that PA now has in place. I know it has a meaningful purpose, but I have a feeling that some undesirables actually use this as an outlet for their own benefit. Oh well, that's a whole new topic for us to discuss later.
He killed his first buck the next season, and 5 more after that. He no longer hunts, but it's not because he has a problem with hunting. He has a professional career now and he's still climbing ladders. As he explained it to me... my time off is very limited and I love to fish, (as do I) so I'd rather fish when I have the time. As he told me... I can fish year around, but I can only deer hunt part of the year so I'd rather fish.

I guess it's a matter of... "To each his own"...

BPS
I hear you on the undesirables idea...I have often wondered just how a 4 or 5 y/o was able to kill a nice buck or doe. Maybe I'm wrong, hope so...

My oldest son had a similar experience as your son. I was with him when he was still in highschool, he had taken hunter safety an was licensed for the first time. I was behind him at our spot on public land during hunters choice day when a group of three does came up the ridge. He said he couldn't see them for a good shot. I could have gotten the lead doe, but not with him in front of me, so they ran off and went off by my BIL who didn't see them either...

That son also loves to fish and had never killed a deer till this past fall he wanted to go with me again at age 39. I took him where I had seen a big racked buck an as luck would have it he actually had the deer come in close an he killed it. A nice 8 pt. bigger than the one I shot in early muzzleloader season. Now I think he is hooked and wants to go again this fall. Even after the gutting/skinning/butchering lesson.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Know a couple of 4 and 5 years old that killed deer. All they really did is stand beside their dad's and pull the trigger. So when they did kill one on their own it ment nothing special to them. My 8 year old nephew killed his first this year and he did everything on his own held the rifle sighted and pulled the trigger.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:54 PM
Spike

Knight Disc 50 caliber
Knight LK-93 50
Knight USA 50
Knight ultra lite 50
Knight Mountaineer 50
Knight Mountaineer 45
Knight T-Bolt 50
Knight Master Hunter 50
Knight Disc elite 50
TC encore 50