Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How many different muzzleloaders have you had multiple big game harvests with? >

How many different muzzleloaders have you had multiple big game harvests with?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How many different muzzleloaders have you had multiple big game harvests with?

Old 02-10-2015, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Shoot T7, a White will shoot just about anything extremely well.

I have an old White Lightening in 504, weighs a whopping 6+ pounds you can fabricate many loads for it that are really comfortable to shoot or you can load up those big heavy conicals and push them out also.

During our ML season I shoot a 460 grain Bull Shop from the rifle with 90 grains of T7-3f then during rifle deer season I shoot a 40x200 Bloodline - it all works in a White.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
Interesting! In going with the traditions I've read on boards like this one, concerning the large volume of White Rifle owners that post their comments here, I have to ask this. Is your grandson large enough physically, shooting a White ML known for big-big (400-500 gr) conical bullet uses...... with big recoil that follows???

Or have the White Rifle ownership community found ways to shoot lighter powder/ bullet combinations in those 1:20s?

What an authoritarian Rifle brand it is / was..... once produced by ML guru Doc White. If there was a Muzzleloader Rifle Hall Of Fame, he would get immediately inducted.
The older grandson is almost as big as me at 15y/o so yes he is, the younger one will have to grow some...if they don't want to hunt with them that's their choice, at least they have that chance to shoot one of the best ML produced. They shot both rifles last summer, both boys hit dead center bulleyes at 50 yds...

The recoil isn't really that bad, either IMO, no more than any TC that I have shot. Glad we can agree on something....

Last edited by toytruck; 02-10-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

My one 12yr old grandson harvested his first doe this year using my White ML shooting 70gr of T7-3F behind a 465gr connical. I asked him how was the recoil? He just shrugged his shoulders and said it was just fine. My 8yr old grandson got his first doe also with my other 45cal White with 55gr of T7-3F with a 350gr bullet with no problem at all.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's good news. My grandson is 12 years old and will see the range for the first time this summer. I have a Limbsaver recoil pad on my Omega, which he will shoulder. I'll start him-off easy, shooting lightweight sabots and soft recoil Goex.

Then I'll offer him my Knight with the No Excuses and about 20-25 more grains. I'll find out real fast what his tolerance level is.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me, i see no humor in trying to shock a new shooter. One thing you might find out, is how to quickly make a life time flincher.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
That's good news. My grandson is 12 years old and will see the range for the first time this summer. I have a Limbsaver recoil pad on my Omega, which he will shoulder. I'll start him-off easy, shooting lightweight sabots and soft recoil Goex.

Then I'll offer him my Knight with the No Excuses and about 20-25 more grains. I'll find out real fast what his tolerance level is.

Don't forget shooting at the range and at a deer is completely different.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

In our state, he will need to take gun safety classes, to get hunting licensed. At least I think so. It was that way several years ago.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

Growing up anybody that carried a gun an hunted had to have a hunting license (dad was a gamewarden). In todays world kids under 12 can hunt w/o a license but have to be with a licensed hunter to mentor them an be close enough to control the weapon used.

12 an up a hunter safety course is required to obtain a hunting license. I took the hunter safety course in highschool back in the late 60's, now they go for half day to class at designated sites, an the rest is online. Progress I guess....
Old 02-13-2015, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by toytruck
Growing up anybody that carried a gun an hunted had to have a hunting license (dad was a gamewarden). In todays world kids under 12 can hunt w/o a license but have to be with a licensed hunter to mentor them an be close enough to control the weapon used.

12 an up a hunter safety course is required to obtain a hunting license. I took the hunter safety course in highschool back in the late 60's, now they go for half day to class at designated sites, an the rest is online. Progress I guess....
I like the fact kids can hunt for free under the mentor program. What I don't like is they don't need a hunters safety course. In PA they are free classes and I think they should attend first.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Hunter Safety classes are still free here last I heard. I went with my then 12 y/o grandson back 3 years ago when it was a 8 hr. all day class. We both got 100 on the final test...I agree they should take the course first before hunting. Dad wouldn't let my brother or I hunt till we did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.