Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Late Season Finally >

Late Season Finally

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Late Season Finally

Old 01-27-2015, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Late Season Finally

Well its been a long dry deer season for me since Oct 1 (bow)through rifle then Muzzie season upstate and only a few days left in special season here on the Island. Friday I dropped a yearling buck ( wish I knew before) took shot on the move at about 60 yds,I didnt think I hit him but something about the way he ran off gave me hope. Naturally when I came down the hill I was on and climbed the one he was on I was only guessing where he was at time of shot,no blood or sign. There was a heavily used trail there so I followed it looking for any signof his passing.About 80 yds from where I thought I shot him I saw a deer like 30 yds away with head down like eating I took a second shot and he dropped 5 yds away. Apparentely my first shot I led him too much and shot out a very chunk off the top of his chest/neck. While dragging him out I came upon his blood trail from the first shot and it was a very good trail just not near where I was looking.....I used my Accura with 110gr Blackhorn and a 300 gr DC bullet, now I have a couple of days left to bloody my Knight...
Old 01-27-2015, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations!!!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations... way to stick with it. Always nice to have venison in the freezer.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

gman!

You're in that special late season zone?

How's the take been, overall?
Old 01-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!

You guys get alot of snow? I heard there were big differences in the snowfall amounts up there, depending where on LI you were. Good luck with your Knight
Old 01-27-2015, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ModernPrimitive
gman!

You're in that special late season zone?

How's the take been, overall?
last I looked last week I think I saw near 100 taken listed at DEC check point. As far as snow goes we got 16-18 " here where I live further east they got more and west got lass.

Last edited by gman57; 01-27-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

congratulations gman. I know the feeling about shooting a 'button buck'. I did the same thing a couple years ago. I know the so called trophy hunters will get upset but the way I figure I didn't take a pregnant doe and kill 3 deer instead of just one.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

We look at it differently.

I have no problem with the state's idea of deer population control. But I have this inside-my-gut thought process to never shoot kids / teens. I know what a kid/teen looks like in the woods. However, I have no idea if that doe in front of those teens is pregnant.

I let two yearlings walk away from the my scope crosshairs this past fall. Not saying you or I are wrong with our opinions..... only that we look at it differently. If I can tell thru my crosshairs that the doe is pregnant, I will not harm it. I may even come back a few hours later and put feed down where I saw it stand.

In our group of three hunters last fall, I was the only one that didn't harvest. One of my partner's harvested two yearlings. I never chastised him, but at the same time, I never shook his hand in congrats.

.... then in a funny kind of way, he asked me what I'm doing wrong out there in the woods.... that I should be harvesting like him. When he said that, I faked-cried and told him I must be a terrible hunter out there.....lol

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 01-28-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:05 AM
Spike

Congrats,,on the deer and its recovery.Sometimes its hard to find the spot that deer was in when it was shot.. When my son was 13 he shot a nice buck,didnt know what way it went,,we looked for an hour with me lecturing him and then we came across some hair and a few drops of blood, found the deer piled up a hundred yards away.Good luck with the Knight.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats gman. Young bucks are mighty fine eating.

The only difference between a yearling buck and a mature buck is you get less meat with the yearling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.