HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   That First Shot--Again? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/397284-first-shot-again.html)

ronlaughlin 01-26-2015 10:32 AM

That First Shot--Again?

This morning i had a chance to shoot the first shot from a cold clean barrel once again. Results were about the same as previously. The fifth shot was called; the eighth shot felt good, but flew high, and wide so i quit.

Following is a post made to a different thread last week; it explains what i should explain.

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 4181505)
Here lately i have been shooting about 15 shots nearly every morning. Mostly why, is to verify the second QRBP breech plug that was converted over to use rifle primers will work reliably. Each morning the shooting has begun with a cold clean barrel. Each morning the results have been quite similar. Often the first shot is the lowest shot, but not always. The target from this morning follows.

The group including the first shot measures 1/8" larger than the group measured not including the first shot. No swabbing was done whilst shooting. The only shot fired from a cold clean barrel was the first. Similar results have been happening each of several previous mornings.

Now, i have been reading this forum for years now, and i realize some will say/think that this rifle happens to be one, that puts the first shot the same place as the following shots. Many will say/think most rifles won't put the first shot with the following shots.

Last year, before hunting season started, i was shooting two other rifles that did the same as this one. The first shot from a cold clean barrel hit close to the following shots, from the fouled barrel, without swabbing. At that time i tried all kind of tricks to try and get the first shot to group with the following shots. Things like popping primers, before loading, using special regimen, and such. In the end, all the tricks seemed fruitless, and i just resorted to shooting the first shot from a cold clean barrel.

It seems i own 3 rifles that put the first shot from a cold clean barrel into the same grouping as the following shots, without swabbing, between shots. Well, i can't help wondering why. It seems to me, most shooters oil their barrels with something. Well, i don't. My rifles are cleaned with a 2-in-1 bore cleaner, which supposedly leaves a protective coating. Whether this affects the first clean shot being in the same group as the following shots... I just don't know, but it is what i do. Me, i don't believe it is using the large rifle magnum primers, instead of shotgun primers, that has the first shot flying like the rest of the shots.

inghamtr 01-26-2015 10:56 AM

That's still good shooting.Do you mind me asking what kinda bore cleaner you have been using since it seems to be working for you.I was given a couple of sample bottles of eezox.I haven't formed an opinion yet..

Muley Hunter 01-26-2015 12:25 PM

I've had a few CVA guns that shot like that. I love it. It means I can hunt on a clean barrel.

ronlaughlin 01-26-2015 12:37 PM

Pete, we were told to tell you something.... what was it?

Muley Hunter 01-26-2015 12:41 PM

Beats me. Who's we?

ronlaughlin 01-26-2015 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by inghamtr (Post 4182139)
....Do you mind me asking what kinda bore cleaner you have been using....

2-in-1 Bore Cleaner.

cayugad 01-26-2015 04:02 PM

That to me is exceptional shooting... I will have to try that load with my Optima. Thanks for the heads up. That Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber is GOOD STUFF!! They sell it in spray cans at our Wal Mart and I use that when I shoot Black Horn 209. Cleans the rifle real nice.

paul54 01-27-2015 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 4182174)

Haven't tried it yet, but I'll get some the next time I am at Walmart. Sounds like good stuff.

Triple Se7en 01-27-2015 04:26 AM

Birchwood-Casey 2 In 1 and Kano AerKroil are all I use for my two break-action MLs. They remove everything.... carbon, copper, lead, plastic residue.......etc. My centerfires see a third product, for they both are semi-auto gas guns. For the moving action, I use Ballistol for the slides, action and exterior of all my guns.

I take Ballistol to deer camp and use it exclusively there, for everything maintained during hunting week there. The best part of taking it, is nobody wants to come near it and borrow it, for it stinks bad and the homeowner every year threatens to ban me from his home for bringing it.:wink:

There are so many rust-inhibiting (not rust preventative) gun oils on the market to protect it long-term after that. They are a dime-a-dozen. The best rust-buster is a nice, dry environment that surrounds your stored MLs.

gman57 01-27-2015 09:40 AM

Very nice shooting Ron, and only 80-85 gr of Blackhorn and 300 gr load. Ive been using the eezox spray can and Im happy with it its also a 2-1 cleaner,preservative. I just fire 1 or 2 primers then load no swabbing before or after with the Blackhorn.