Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
That First Shot--Again? >

That First Shot--Again?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

That First Shot--Again?

Old 01-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Bullet--270g Deep Curl

This morning the battery was removed from wife' old truck... then i headed for the hills. As before the first shot was from a shiny cold clean barrel. This time the bullet of choice was the 270g Deep Curl. It was much warmer today than before, and the barrel kinda heated up faster than i like, so, after 3 shots, i took a break from shooting, to walk up to the target, and photograph it.

The fourth shot was called; maybe i was breathing too much after the short walk. The fifth, and seventh shots went into the same hole as the first, and third shot. The sixth shot went into the same hole as the second shot.

The eighth shot goes unexplained?? This day the rifle barrel got warmer than it ever has, since it came here.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gman57
Very nice shooting Ron, and only 80-85 gr of Blackhorn and 300 gr load. Ive been using the eezox spray can and Im happy with it its also a 2-1 cleaner,preservative. I just fire 1 or 2 primers then load no swabbing before or after with the Blackhorn.
Worked good on that deer!
Old 01-28-2015, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Again

Old 01-28-2015, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Those are some good patterns!
Old 01-28-2015, 02:52 PM
Spike

Default 2&1

Ron, are you cleaning the 2&1 out with a solvent or dry patch or just shooting with the residual from cleaning in the bore?
Old 01-28-2015, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

When i return home from shooting a rifle, the first thing i do is remove the breech plug. Then i run a dry patch down and back, and toss it.

Then another dry patch down and back; turn it inside out, and run it down and back, and toss it.

Then i soak a patch with solvent, and run it back and forth in the barrel, a few times.

Then a clean dry patch is run down and back, which soaks up the solvent.

Then a clean dry patch is run a few times down the barrel; it is turned inside out, and run a few times down the barrel. This patch usually is quite clean on the reverse side when finished.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Again, but Further

On top of the ridge out in the bald hills, it was 30*, and the air was almost perfectly still. Seemed it was a good morning to try, and shoot 200 yard. As before, the first shot is taken from a shiny, cold, clean barrel.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

Ron, you are my idle! I wish I could shoot as good as you.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ED, you got the idle part right, but wife might change things.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry Ron fat fingers again. Meant Idol. grin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.