Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What was your first?? >

What was your first??

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What was your first??

Old 01-25-2015, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

Being relatively new to the game, 8 years or so, my first was a TC Omega Z5 bought at Cabelas. I found this site shortly after.

It's still the most expensive MZ I ever purchased. I paid full retail for the gun and all the accessories. While simple in design, those Omegas flat out shoot. I have my eye out for a nice SS model.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

First was a traditions 45 cal cap lock. Load and hot fine. Load and hunt or Lester for and hour wouldn't go off. Final a musket nipple fix that. I was about 10 years old first in line a cva eclipse 50 caliber.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Dominant Buck

My very first rifle that I still own and shoot, was a kit gun. A .54 caliber percussion style T/C Renegade.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Traditions BuckHunter 50 cal.

Still have it, Christmas present from my wife. She is a dirty gal (rifle) but shoots great, legal everywhere and ya never know when it may be needed.

I'm hooked, purchased 3 in last six months, working on a smokeless Remington now, it should be my last, at least that's what I tell the wife
Old 01-25-2015, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

Thompson center hawkins 50 caliber. Built by my dad and given to me when I was 8 years old. I will never part with this one. Killed my first deer with it and many many since.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bought this flintlock in 1977 when I lived in Atlanta, paid $470...It was made by Bob Watts, it's was a .45, now it's a .40...

Old 01-25-2015, 02:28 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BuckDoeHunter
Traditions BuckHunter 50 cal.

Still have it, Christmas present from my wife. She is a dirty gal (rifle) but shoots great, legal everywhere and ya never know when it may be needed.

I'm hooked, purchased 3 in last six months, working on a smokeless Remington now, it should be my last, at least that's what I tell the wife
Lol I bought my last muzzleloader about 28 guns ago..I didn't quit with my smokeless savage ,,just saying.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

My first frontstuffer was an original (late 1800's ?) Belgian made 20 GA double barrel caplock. I bought it at a gun show when I was 16 years old. It was on a table with about a dozen double barrel percussion "wall hangers" and was the one with the least amount of rust. I think I paid something like $30 for it. All I knew about muzzleloaders at the time was what every kid knew from watching Davy Crockett on TV. I cleaned it up with steel wool and mineral spirits. A kind local gunsmith installed new nipples on it and explained how it worked. He sold me my first can of DuPont black powder and a tin of caps, and gave me a sock full of #8 birdshot. I killed a ton of blackbirds, doves and bunnies with that old gun using toilet paper for wadding between the powder and shot, and circles cut from milk cartons for overshot cards. The screw top from the powder can was my measure for both powder and shot.

That was followed three years later with a home built .40 caliber rifle. The barrel and lock were purchased from a Dixie catalog and the stock made from a slab of scrap mahogany from a local sawmill. It was NOT a thing of beauty, but it put down quite a few nutria, rabbits, and one 90 lb. hog.

My first commercial made rifle was a .50 TC New Englander purchased used some where around 1967.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

My first was a T/C Hawken .45 cal that was a percussion when I got it - before PA started its primitive season back in the 70s. When I found out that only flintlocks were going to be allowed I got a breech removal tool and a new flintlock breech and lock from T/C and swapped the breeches out. I shot a nice fat doe with that rifle that year then upgraded to a .50 cal T/C Hawken flinter.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:27 AM
Typical Buck

T/C Omega X7. I still have it today and shoots great, at least 10 years old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.