HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   An un-planned Experiment (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/397217-un-planned-experiment.html)

sabotloader 01-22-2015 06:48 PM

An un-planned Experiment

Today, well yesterday I ran to the farm to do some shooting getting ready to do some varmint hunting (wolves and coyotes)...

Part of the trip was testing something I think I know and probably most of the rest of you already know...

This picture shows 3 W-209 primers that I have carried around in my pocket all hunting season. Most likely all them have been in the rifle for a hunting trip, then extracted, ejected, and stuffed back into my pocket. Well after hunting season I did not somehow get them out of my pocket - so after washing my hunting gear I found the three primers laying in the bottom of the washer. I picked them out and placed them on my hunting bench - I wanted to try them on one my trips to the farm or the rock pit. A few weeks later I loaded up to go to the rock pit remembered these primers for testing. But when I to the rock pit - to many people so I put off the shoot. And once again left them in my pants pocket and once again they got washed and discovered by Terry. When she handed them to me again.

Well, finally yesterday at the farm I got them out of my pocket and decided to test them. Were there really as water proof as I and most of us think???

Yep! - now I know for sure....

d.winsor 01-22-2015 07:05 PM

Amazing, I never would have believed it. I still could not bring myself to trust them hunting, especially after 2 washings!

chicken little 01-22-2015 08:10 PM

Are you going to try some more after the washer and dryer?

WV Hunter 01-23-2015 03:13 AM

I agree, pretty amazing actually. I would have never guessed they would have fired properly after 2 washings. Good to know!

TNHagies 01-23-2015 05:24 AM

That's really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

cayugad 01-23-2015 05:51 AM

Nice and clean too!! I kind of guessed they would work. Did they go through the dryer too?

One afternoon I was at my shooting bench. Its ruff made boards had cracks in them. And there, between the cracks were two #11 caps. They probably fell off the straight line capper and collected in the cracks. I had no idea how long those caps lay out there in the cracks of that top. But with a knife I got them out. And they fired perfect.

bronko22000 01-23-2015 08:17 AM

I heard about the only thing that will destroy primers is oil.

sabotloader 01-23-2015 09:13 AM

None of the primers went through the dryer... Do not think I would like to suggest to Terry that I would like to try that portion of the experiment.

Although all of this does give me a lot more confidence the Winchester W-209 to withstand moisture. And I would assume other manufactures sealed primers.

Cayugad, do you think those #11 were ever wet? or were they just exposed to the humidity of the atmosphere?

But even then that is a better result than I might have expected.

buckfever37 01-23-2015 04:33 PM

I had something similar happen but with a traditions speedloader. The ones that has a divider. Had my bullet and blackhorn powder in it and it went through the wash. It was completely dry inside the speed loader. I didn't chance it for hunting though. Did toss it in the fireplace and it flamed up pretty quick.