Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Leupold CDS Dial issue >

Leupold CDS Dial issue

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Leupold CDS Dial issue

Old 01-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Leupold CDS Dial issue

i bought a VXR 3x9 Firedot with the .30mm tube.

I did not have time to totally play with the system as hunting season was rapidly approaching . So I sighted it dead nuts at 100 yards . Luckily all,of my shots were close this season as I was set up mainly for bow hunting.

Fast forward to today. Shot it at 100 yards and decide to play with the dial. 3min is equal to 12 clicks. It only brought it up 2 inches at 100 yards with a 100 yard zero.

pronlem I am facing is I can only go up to 6min on the dial which is 22 clicks and then I top out. Dial,will not move past there.

i wanted to get a CDS custom dial for my load but if all I have is 22 clicks available to me what's the point? 22clicks or 6min is only going to get me about 5.5 inches of elevation change. Give or take.

so am I wasting my time and money with this scope? I really did not want a 2inch holdover at 100 yards but could do it if neccesary.

BTW my load is .50 cal MMP Orange with 300 Gr Sierra .458 bullets. 100 GR BH209 by volume. CVA Optima V2 DNZ medium 30mm scope rings/ bases.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by miketodd58
i bought a VXR 3x9 Firedot with the .30mm tube..............

Fast forward to today. Shot it at 100 yards and decide to play with the dial. 3min is equal to 12 clicks. It only brought it up 2 inches at 100 yards with a 100 yard zero. pronlem I am facing is I can only go up to 6min on the dial which is 22 clicks and then I top out. Dial,will not move past there.

i wanted to get a CDS custom dial for my load but if all I have is 22 clicks available to me what's the point? 22clicks or 6min is only going to get me about 5.5 inches of elevation change. Give or take.

so am I wasting my time and money with this scope? I really did not want a 2inch holdover at 100 yards but could do it if neccesary.

BTW my load is .50 cal MMP Orange with 300 Gr Sierra .458 bullets. 100 GR BH209 by volume. CVA Optima V2 DNZ medium 30mm scope rings/ bases.
Sounds to me you have a mounting problem.

If you only have available 22 clicks UP from your 100yd zero to the turret stop, turn the dial DOWN and count the number of TOTAL clicks until the turret stops. My assumption is, you'll have many more clicks down. That's going to indicate a mount problem. I don't believe you'll ever have an equal number of clicks, both up and down equaling a zero but, if the scope mounts and rings are right, you should be much closer to the center number of clicks available.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

To the OP............

Did you test your scope turret and clicks and I so, what were your findings?
Old 01-21-2015, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if they make them for the v2, but a canted rail/scope base is 1 option. It'll point your scope down, raising point of impact when you shoot, requiring you to lower the scopes zero-setting to be on-target again. This leaves more of the adjustment in the scope available for coming up. Another option is burris zee rings. You can use the ring inserts to have the same effect by offsetting them so the scope again points down.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Z
Not sure if they make them for the v2, but a canted rail/scope base is 1 option. It'll point your scope down, raising point of impact when you shoot, requiring you to lower the scopes zero-setting to be on-target again. This leaves more of the adjustment in the scope available for coming up. Another option is burris zee rings. You can use the ring inserts to have the same effect by offsetting them so the scope again points down.
You're talking about a 10 or 20 MOA base?

With only 22 clicks left to go up its most likely just his current mounting system. He should have "close to" (not exact), almost as much up as down adjustment if the scope and mounting system is correct.

It'll be interesting to find out what the total number of clicks in his scope is, which will give the OP an idea how much the mounting is off. That scope is a 60 moa total scope.

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 01-21-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
With only 22 clicks left to go up its most likely just his current mounting system.
Yes...but he can still benefit from canted mounting as his replacement.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/154...le-rings-matte
Old 01-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes...but he can still benefit from canted mounting as his replacement.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/154...le-rings-matte

Maybe but, that's like putting a band aid on a broken finger.

The OP hasn't responded stating any results..........
Old 01-23-2015, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems to me, the off set inserts would cure the OP' problem, and make the CDS dial fully functional from stop to stop.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
its most likely just his current mounting system.
Changing your mind or what? I just suggested a different mount.. might as well use canted mounting with turrets so all your ele travel is left for going up. At least that's what I do. But I only have 6 er 7 leupolds with turrets.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Changing your mind or what? I just suggested a different mount.. might as well use canted mounting with turrets so all your ele travel is left for going up. At least that's what I do. But I only have 6 er 7 leupolds with turrets.
The OP stated: "BTW my load is .50 cal MMP Orange with 300 Gr Sierra .458 bullets. 100 GR BH209 by volume. CVA Optima V2 DNZ medium 30mm scope rings/ bases." Does he really need the full elevation of a 60moa scope?

He could try your suggested rings and if it were all in his mount, he may still not have full access to the entire vertical adjustment. My personal preference is to identify the entire issue. If I needed more elevation, I'd rather use a 10 or 20 moa base, than shim a scope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.