Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Leupold ultimate slam???? >

Leupold ultimate slam????

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Leupold ultimate slam????

Old 01-17-2015, 11:35 AM
Spike

Default Leupold ultimate slam????

Just wondering who on here uses this ML scope and how do you like it? I have been looking at these and everything i read is telling me that they are a variable power scope (thats easy enough) but then you turn the dial to whatever load you are using (sets the reticle for holdover on long range shots). Now if you turn the same adjustment then what about a 3X magnification or 9x or anywhere in between? Nothing i have read said anything about a second adjustment, just that you adjust the magnification to "glass" your target then dial up for the load.... not sure i like that but im hooked on leupold scopes and i wouldnt mind a 300 yard crack at a coyote or two. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have the illuminated one and so far i like it i have it mounted for use on either one of my white bison rifles i have the warne q/r rings and love those as well ! you can adjust or sight in based on two or three pellet loads there are little symbols on the scope for that so when you sight in based on one or the other you just turn the dial to that hash mark or you can do a custom sight in as the manual describes i am on the other hand going to develop my favorite load then sight in dead on at 100 yards and record where i'm hitting at other yardages on those different aiming points and just tape it to my stock or somewhere where i can get to it in a hurry. hope i helped a little ??
Old 01-18-2015, 03:13 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nysbowhunter
Just wondering who on here uses this ML scope and how do you like it? I have been looking at these and everything i read is telling me that they are a variable power scope (thats easy enough) but then you turn the dial to whatever load you are using (sets the reticle for holdover on long range shots). Now if you turn the same adjustment then what about a 3X magnification or 9x or anywhere in between? Nothing i have read said anything about a second adjustment, just that you adjust the magnification to "glass" your target then dial up for the load.... not sure i like that but im hooked on leupold scopes and i wouldnt mind a 300 yard crack at a coyote or two. Thanks.
Search the post by Roluaghlin for info on custom long range scopes. I don't claim to understand it completely but he shoots long range regularly.

Personally, I go to handloads.com, load in the bullet BC and FPS to calculate the estimated projection path. It's pretty accurate but would require holdover estimate for long range.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have one that I bought for the clarity and bang for the buck. I have it on my Accura V2 but haven't played with the ballistic reticles as yet. I just have it sighted in for 100 yds.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is my .02 fwiw. I think that std duplex type reticle is better. To me, the clutter in that type reticle is more of a distraction than a help. I would bet that most folks could do 95% of their hunting range shooting with a std duplex just fine using the crosshair and the top of the bottom post.

Personally if I was going to get a scope to actually do alot of long range shooting, I'd get a Leupold with the CDS dial, vs a BDC type reticle.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

for what it's worth.... (two cents / wooden nickel)...

............ I never put my eye into a Leo, mounted at a deer camp, or at the store.

I'm scared too, for the rumor-mill states I will easily be hooked and addicted to them.

That came from an earlier-in-life bird on my shoulder that also proclaimed to never enter a new home-model that's overpriced for my budget and never take a new car for a spin at a car dealership that's out of my wallet's reach.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 01-18-2015 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Here is my .02 fwiw. I think that std duplex type reticle is better. To me, the clutter in that type reticle is more of a distraction than a help. I would bet that most folks could do 95% of their hunting range shooting with a std duplex just fine using the crosshair and the top of the bottom post.

Personally if I was going to get a scope to actually do alot of long range shooting, I'd get a Leupold with the CDS dial, vs a BDC type reticle.
Couldn't agree more.

The CDS dial......... dial and shoot. Love it on my VX-6.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:54 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Couldn't agree more.

The CDS dial......... dial and shoot. Love it on my VX-6.
i'm the exact opposite. I prefer the BDC, which I can still use as a turret and dial the range if I so choose. But the vast majority of the time I just use the bdc

Old 01-18-2015, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some shooters like multi reticle scopes, it just takes more shooting and learning to use them. They can be very good with them. I've shot them before, but never cared for them.

I'm a retired Ergonomist, or Human Factors Engineering. What happens with many, not all, is what's called "Task Saturation". The human is given more choices, of which he must be sure of in a very quick amount of time. Range finders should be use in all cases.
The military trains pilots exclusively to handle Task Saturation. Imagine flying an F-16, with its multitude of controls, switches and visual requirements, all while being shot at. Those men and women are good!
Old 01-18-2015, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

Since your hooked on Leupold scopes spend a little extra and get the VXR 3-9x40 CDS Firedot.

First custom dial is free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.